• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Black engine bay paint...new source????

Hehe, why yes I am an MCA judge, got something to say about it, bub?

Glad to see so many familiar "faces" here. I'll try to spend more time on S-fix.

Mike, if you do decide to arrange a group purchase, I'll buy 2 cans. I used the last of my 1613 last month to redo my engine area and would like a couple of cans for any touchups.

"Sluggo" said:
I don't believe we've conversed before but I think I'm gonna like you. :naug

Tell us your thoughts on slop gray. :pop

No we haven't met before, I'm yet another refugee from VMF -- another one of "Gullerie's Grapplers." I promised myself that I would spend time here as well as VMF, as I still have plenty of friends on both sites.

"Slop Gray," according to what I've read from a variety of sources, was an amalgam of whatever they had laying around the paint room...

So, it was likely different from car to car. CT may have some specifics on its "formula" but I gather the thinking was just get some nondescript paint on there -- anything that would prevent rust. Nobody was gonna look too closely at the chassis, anyway. If they'd any idea of just how picky people would be about details on these cars 40+ years later...

On the engine bay paint: Having gotten my driver's license back when these cars were brand new (Yeah, I'm that old), I can tell you that the manufacturers were not terribly proud of their engine compartments. There were sags in the paint, sloppy application of sealers and a slightly "grimey" look to even the engine compartments of performance cars.

I can recall my Dad's Falcon Sprint sporting those fancy chrome engine accessories, but not really being very tidy under the hood in spite of the "bling" Ford had installed. I spent many hours detailing the engine compartment on that car...the kind of stuff the factory really didn't have time to do (but a teenager hoping to get his hands on the keys would).

"SAC69" said:
Mike, if you do decide to arrange a group purchase, I'll buy 2 cans. I used the last of my 1613 last month to redo my engine area and would like a couple of cans for any touchups.

Well does anyone else want to join in?
It ain't cheap $7+ a can.

4 left........

Let me know and I'll pursue it.

Back