• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Blake's Flamed 66 Fastback

It was the first fastback I had ever seen in person, and I hassled the owner for 3 years before he relented and sold it to me. That was March 19, 1996. The car was 30 years old and I was 20.

It began as a blue/blue car delivered to the New Orleans DSO with only 2 options: C code 289 and 2+2 roof. Those are the only two I cared about, so we're off to the races.

Here I am complete with ponytail and Hawaiian shirt. (It was the 90's). I ditched the ponytail but still have the shirt.
image_zpsgmo62y86.jpe

The colors had changed to black/red at some point in its life as well as a C4 swapped in, but was otherwise stock. It immediately got an edelbrock 4bbl setup, new suspension and Granada front brakes for its daily driver duties getting me to college.

Around 03/04 I did a ton of work to it, including changing to black interior, bodywork and new paint and the flame job. It was at this time that I started plans for the 5.0/T-5 swap. It didn't drive again until 09, but when it did it was powered by that '91 5.0, freshly built with forged internals, aluminum WP heads, TFS stage 2 cam and a bunch of other go-fast goodies.

Every inch of the car has been cleaned and restored or replaced since I've owned it except for the peg leg 8" rear that's about to get replaced with an Explorer 8.8 that I have, but haven't installed yet.

The best mods I've made to date (aside from a much more powerful engine) include the T-5 swap with modern driveline crossmember and Mustang Steve roller clutch pedal, power brake retrofit and clutch cable stuff. Honorable mention goes to the Acura RSX seats and customized stock console to accommodate the tunnel-mounted E brake.

Body mods include the Shelby scoop and removing 15 pieces of chrome (bumper guards, grille pony, shaved antenna and more).

I'm sure I'm forgetting a million details, but that's enough for now. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you want to know anything else.

I haven't taken great pics since I lowered it and added new wheels, but here's what I've got so far:
0e08e15b-0582-4e2e-9828-da0e954b8ca6_zpsncjnd3so.jpg
IMG_4680_zpskcgtzjiz.jpg

Here are some shots from last year before the wheels and front end lowering:
image_zpss2waeyoe.jpe
image_zpsmxx4sscs.jpe

Console includes a tiny amp that runs the speakers and has a Bluetooth module so I can run tunes off my phone.
image_zps1lnx1x70.jpe
IMG_4724_zpst9lyxehq.jpg

The go-fast part.
image_zps7iau2fvv.jpe

This is my co-pilot. :)
image_zpsfl4kmzlr.jpe

Is there enough room between the steeringwheel and seat ?
I am considering new front seats .

Is there enough room between the steeringwheel and seat ?
I am considering new front seats .

There's room, but just barely. (I'm 6'3", 250lbs) Future mods include a slightly smaller steering wheel and lowering the seat risers a bit. Good enough for now though and the RSX seats are a huge improvement over both stock and the cheapie generic eBay racing seats I had.

I know on the 67-68 you can install the 69 seat pans and they are an inch lower. Not sure on the 65-66, aren't the floors all the same?

I know on the 67-68 you can install the 69 seat pans and they are an inch lower. Not sure on the 65-66, aren't the floors all the same?

Pretty much. I've also heard Cougar seat risers are a good fit and an inch shorter. I'll get there, just haven't felt like yanking the interior out since the seats went in.

I finally got some decent pics with the new wheels. I'd still like to lower the rear a bit, but it's good for now.

34932320195_10eb01c456_c.jpg

34089154894_7c621443bf_c.jpg

34932304025_1b07ab8918_c.jpg

34089155404_5152b2c507_c.jpg

34932322395_5d40c56738_c.jpg

Back