• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Body re-assembly?

Dne'

While fitting my new fiberglass valance on. I began thinking about how to put the doors, fenders, etc. back on(sequence, not how to)! I know I could figure it out, but what's the sequence for re-assembly?
Can I put the doors on, then fenders?
Can I put the fenders on, then the doors?
Does it matter??
dne'

IMG_6841.jpg

A little frustrated fitting stuff up!
IMG_7533.jpg

IMG_7535.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You ever run over your hair while using that creeper?

I did back in my long hair days. It hurts like hell.

share the number?

Fastback68, Help desk? Share the number? That's what you guys/gals are for. Besides, It's usually just little stuff that I ask about. Sometimes I probably sound kind of dumb, but I'm not! Sorry for the not so smart question, I could have figured it out, was just looking to reassure what I was thinking.

As for my hair, I uually have it in a pony tail. But yes~ I have got it caught in a creeper wheel! OMG! It hurts and difficult to get unwound from the nasty wheel! lol I was just working a little today, I really haven't felt well for a few weeks. I didn't work much today.

Fastback68, Help desk? Share the number?

Dne,

I'm pretty sure that Rick is referring to the picture of you on the phone in front of your disassembled car. The photo gives the appearance that you're seeking "phone assistance" from a Mustang help desk.

Like Rick stated, get your doors hung perfectly before moving onto the fenders. Once the fenders are on, adjusting the door gaps by loosening the hinge bolts becomes a big PITA.

BTW, you're making amazing progress on the car. Don't let the little things get you down, work through them. I've followed builds before that have taken years to accomplish what you've done in a few short months. Keep up the good work and you'll be driving that baby before you know it!

I agree that the doors should go on first. I suggest you install the windows and interior door guts in the doors (or at least the equivalent weight) before the final door alignment tweaking as the weight of all that stuff will have an impact on how the door hangs. Remember that the door weatherstripping will also compete for space in the door jamb when the door is closed.

Once you are satisfied with the doors, I suggest lining up the hood relative to the cowl next as there is less chance for a scratched fender if it isn't yet on the car.

Next install the headlight extensions into the fenders, then the fenders to the car aligning the fender to the door and rocker panel first and then to the hood. Be careful with the hood as worn hinges will cause the hood to shift and occasionally bind against the cowl, possibly resulting in a paint chip.

Valances come last.

Take your time and don't be surprised if you need to tweak things several times to get it all right.

Craig, Mike, and I helped Justin (GTS_CODE) with this exact job last Sunday. There are some pics on the other site if you are interested.

The other site referred to is the vintage-mustang forum. A few of us post there also, but it's not as fun as this place.

Wow~ your stang looks great! I love the ride height of it too! Thank you so much~ pictures really help me alot!! :notworthy:
dne'

"daveSanborn" said:
Like Rick stated, get your doors hung perfectly before moving onto the fenders. Once the fenders are on, adjusting the door gaps by loosening the hinge bolts becomes a big PITA.

I'm doing my doors last. But everything was aligned before paint and I scribed the hinge locations on the door & left the hinges on the body. I don't forsee it being a big PITA to put them back on.

And you'll be able to see the scribe marks and tighten up the bolts with the fenders on?

I'd love to see that! :pop

"70_Fastback" said:
Let's bet on it Randy. :hmm

You're on! What do you want to bet that either you'll ding the paint or take more than 3 hours total to do the two doors with excellent alignment?

PS: define excellent alignment. Gotta have an out with this bet somehow!

"70_Fastback" said:
But everything was aligned before paint and I scribed the hinge locations on the door & left the hinges on the body.

It wont be easy, but can be done since the hinges are mounted on the body already and only need to be mounted to the doors themselves.

"Midlife" said:
You're on! What do you want to bet that either you'll ding the paint or take more than 3 hours total to do the two doors with excellent alignment?

PS: define excellent alignment. Gotta have an out with this bet somehow!

No time constraints on the bet. The argument was that would would like to see it. It will be done. I am an anal-perfectionist, so the alignment will be to my liking.

I'm open to pretty much any bet as well....

Back