• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

bolt or clip?

RustyRed

I have been working on putting my fenders back on ('66 coupe for reference).

There is a bolt that holds the fender on at the bottom near the rocker, firewall, etc. There was a bolt welded on there that came off as soon as I put a wrench on it when taking the fenders off.

Is there a special kind of bolt or clip or something that goes in the hole at the bottom so that I can put a bolt back in there? I haven't had much luck finding one while searching parts websites but I would rather not try to weld on some misc bolt that might not stay / hold.

There is a rectangular capture nut that is inserted into the lowermost cowl/rocker that receives the fender nut. This was not one of Ford's better ideas, as the nut is not terribly secured down there.

When Midlife was taken down for restoration, those capture nuts were missing, and the fender was brazed to the rocker panel to keep everything in alignment.

When looking in the catalog for these things, look for cowl to fender capture nut or cowl to fender nut. They are cheap, and I've never seen one actually fit securely in the cowl. One usually has to lever the fender against the cowl as you're fastening the bolt to ensure the capture nut doesn't fully go into the cowl and allow you to spin the bolt without tightening it.

"Midlife" said:
One usually has to lever the fender against the cowl as you're fastening the bolt to ensure the capture nut doesn't fully go into the cowl and allow you to spin the bolt without tightening it.

Or....you can properly install and crush the keeper so it will stay put. If that don't work you can always tack it with the welder.

Back