• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Brake shoe spring colors matter?

IMG_2515.jpg

Your adjusting cable slide isn't in the hole. I can see some of the yellow spring. You need to remove the spring, set the slider in the hole and hold it in the hole while you put the yellow spring in. That will pull the adjusting lever up on the adjusting wheel and it will work properly.

IMG_2509.jpg

This one is in the hole and you can see the adjusting lever is up on the wheel.

Good eyes John, I always like a second set when I can't figure it out. That was it, the indention on the slide was buggered up on the backside, a little needlenose and mini file and it stays in now, fixed. Audible clicks now, thanks everyone.
Jon

John, you've got me conefused. All 4 shoes from Porterfield were the same size!

Well, I can be wrong sometimes. The shoes are not the same most of the time, for sure on the street cars. There is a small shoe for the front and a large shoe for the rear. Look at the other photos and you'll notice that they are small front ... large rear, except yours. I do a LOT of brake work and the rule is small front / large rear. If you mix them up, the brakes can lock up ... ask me how I know that :craz

I run Porterfield stuff on our track cars too. They know what they're doing. Sorry if I made your heart jump !

Looks like I'll have to go and re check them tomorrow, but I sure don't remember them being a diff size. Maybe I'll give Porterfield a call if I find out they are the same size.

I have been known for doing stupid things.

Me too pal.

I know for sure that if you do have a set that are one small and one large, and you put the large one in front, the brakes will lock up. Can be a little scary even at highway speeds .

SilverBlueBP, if it helps any and yours are rears, mine came from Livermore Perf. and are 2 short front facing, 2 longer rear and are part Shoe 152 R4-S for 2" wide shoes. Just happen to find my receipt in my brake parts box.
Jon

Feel like crap this morning so I'm not inclined to go look but I found a pic of the other side.

Pretty obvious I pulled a "duane" on this one. They've been this way for awhile, with no brake lockup problems. Hell, I never noticed any braking problems! I 'm thankful this thread started, I would have gone on this way. I had never noticed that there was a difference.....man am I stoopid.

These pics are from 2006 when I was changing out the rear end housings, I'm pretty sure I put them back the same way. :dumas

100_0043.jpg

100_0045.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"AzPete" said:
Yep, at least no problem developed. Now, does this put the PT is sight?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol are you kidding???

Wishful thinking buddy.

Just reading all these replies makes me sure I'll do mine right this weekend. :vic :scar :beat :pep :pep :dumas

Back