• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Brickyard 400 Comments

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
Yesterday was a rare opportunity for me to watch a NASCAR race on TV: the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis. It was a very boring race until the very end when two crashes occurred causing double-overtime. I was hoping for a bit more excitement over 4 hours than what was presented.

Occasionally, there was an overhead shot of the track, and the bleachers were empty everywhere except at the start/finish line. I have heard attendance at Nasty-Car is dropping and although Indy can hold 350,000 people, the lack of attendance must have been embarrassing.

Nascar attendance has been on the decline for sometime now. Lots of factors. The homogenized racing being one big one. Another is cost. It's not cheap to get into many tracks. If travel is necessary, the cost is even more prohibitive. Nascar is about as blue collar as it comes for the core fan base. Those folks simply don't have the money to waste any more. I have friends who used to hit half a dozen or so races a year that now only make one (Daytona) and that's about much more than just seeing the race.
The economy sucks for the vast majority. Don't believe what the news tells you.

Terry,
I don't think is as much as the economy sucking as it is Nascrap has priced themselves out and as Mid stated, boring as hell. I used to go to 4-5 races a year, two of which were Bristol. (We had reserved seats) When Bristol priced their CHEAPEST ticket at $90....I was out. They have completely forgotten their base.

Terry,
I don't think is as much as the economy sucking as it is Nascrap has priced themselves out and as Mid stated, boring as hell. I used to go to 4-5 races a year, two of which were Bristol. (We had reserved seats) When Bristol priced their CHEAPEST ticket at $90....I was out. They have completely forgotten their base.

And yet, not ONCE did you invite me the Bristol race.

Nascar started its downhill slide when they introduced restrictor plates at the big tracks. That's what started the pack racing. That evolved into the head jackwagons thinking it was best if ALL the races were like that. Then they micromanaged every detail down to what bolts to use...COT...and now the current configuration which resembles the old IROC series. Every race is half full at best (at least the ones I look at for a few minutes). It's their own damn fault, tried to wholesale change what worked and then jacked the prices out of Joe Everybody's reach. I had 8 tickets (in premo seats) for the Twins for many years until the price rose like the shuttle leaving the Cape.

I remember going to qualifying for free at Daytona and then the Clash, IROC and ARCA was less than $30. I think now they even charge for watching testing (which was also free)!

I used to enjoy NASCAR but now it has become painful to watch. Toyota has pretty much bought their way to the top. Brickyard was a waste of time even watching it 3X fast forward on the dvr.

Terry,
I think we are both on the same page. I didn't want to focus in on ticket prices as pretty much every major sport has seen the same increase in ticket prices. It's just that other sports haven't watered down their respective products like Nascar. In your case, I would wager it's not so much the ticket might be $90 as it is $90 holds a lot of value in your mind. Value today that out weighs watching a race in person. Back when the economy was stronger and you had likely higher confidence in your economic future you might have more willingly plunked down the $90. At least that's where my argument stems.

Either way, the racing sucks balls these days. It's a shame.

Now it's national association of same car aroundy round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up going to the local dirt tracks on Friday and Saturday nights. On Sundays, we would watch whatever NASCAR race was televised. As I grew into an adult I really started to follow NASCAR more as they televised every race even if it wasn't a major network. I started to lose interest about the same time it was becoming more mainstream. As it grew it popularity or ratings it was becoming more generic. Same with NHRA. So I went back to my roots. I go watch a local dirt track race or test and tune night at the drag strip. Those are real racers.

Back