• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

BS meter: looking at a '64 vert with 289 4speed combo got the seller's response

copasspupil

Donator
This is what he said:
I was out of town for a few days and upon my return I have had several inquiries and a few offers. I do not have the data tag on the convertible, I spent yesterday reconfirming the provenance of the car. It was built in Sept of 1964 at the Dearborn plant It has both 64 1/2 and 65 mustang parts from the factory. It was the 973rd car built that
month out of all the mustang plants, which totaled three at that time. What we don't know is how many V-8 4speed cars were built in September
of 1964, most likely not very many. Anyway it's an early 65 with 64 1/2 parts, the car needs total restoration.

Then I asked about build sheet and door data plate:
We are working with ford to see if we can get a copy of the build sheet. That is good and bad news, the good news is that there wasn't a lot of
options available in Sept of 1964 for a mustang convertible. The bad news is that we will have to pay for a new data plate, but it will be period correct
even if we don't find the original colors options as that would be the only thing that cannot be verified by the existing original equipment that is on
the car.

Now I always thought that there was no way for anyone to confirm #'s of cars pre'67 ie. Marty report nor could they make a modern door data plate for them???? Also is there some strange vent for a '64 that is different that a 65/66? at the front radiator support pass. side???

Radiator support is different for 64.5's. The 973 number is probably off of the VIN. Data plates can be obtained from Marti Auto Works, but it would be based entirely upon what the customer wanted on it (for 64.5-66 cars).

Hi, FYI the build date on my coupe was 9/11/64, San Jose CA. 289 2V ,T10 4 speed. No other significant options. It does have some leftover 64 1/2 parts: Hood, headlight buckets, fan motor. Sounds like yours was built with a leftover radiator support.

How do they know it was the 3rd one off the line? In September? I doubt it. I would not trust any data plate they supply, Ford doesn't have any info. You're right to be skeptical.

Back