• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

C6 or not to C6?

tarafied1

I have been dreaming of a 5 speed behind my 429 but pretty much anyway I slice it, the cost will be about $6,000.00 to convert the BBF automatic to a manual TKO 500.
My current C6 has been rebuilt (twice) and now I am yanking it out again to put in a new converter. The sprag is broken.
Anyway, I have a 3.25:1 gear ratio now, and combined with the 2.46 1st gear ratio, I am at 8 with the "Starting Line Ratio" when optimum is between 9 and 11. My 60 foot times (albeit I have only run it on the track twice) are 2.3 seconds which is pretty pathetic.
I am going to a 2,400 rpm stall speed which should help but I am wondering if I should bite the bullet and also go with a lower gear ratio planetary for the C6. That would be 2.72 1st gear ratio. That still keeps me under 9 for the SLR but much closer to 9. I want to keep the car street-able and I don't want to kill the MPG too much since it is my HRPT car. But I can't help wanting a little more responsiveness off the line.
TCI make the gear set for just under $800.00, I could also go to 3.50:1 rear gears and not hurt the MPG too much and that would put me right at 9.52 SLR which should get me under 2 seconds 60 foot times and not hurt the drive-ability and gas mileage.
So rear gears, and trans gears, with the converter (about $1500) should be a pretty good compromise. Any opinions?

If there is anyway to swing it go tko... you've wanted to do that for years. 1500 would go along way toward 6k...

Living the dream or running it down... Haven't figured out which yet.

yeah but that's probably not a realistic goal with two boys starting college. And I already bought the torque converter...
But I may someday be able to swing it...

2 kids in college... yikes. Time to dream a little longer... if you have the convertor already then you've already got your mind made up :)

Living the dream or running it down... Haven't figured out which yet.

well I NEED the converter to keep driving the car. The current one failed on the Power tour last year.

Ouch, I feel your pain. My daughter is going to the University of Auckland in NZ for a semester. Leave the C6. The C6 has more parasitic losses but with the right converter you keep the engine right in the meat of the power band constantly where a stick comes and goes from it power band and on an average, could spend less time in the power band then the auto car.

I have one son that just finished his first semester for Mechanical Engineering Degree, the second son is a Senior in HS and will start college next fall so I will have two in college at the same time for a few years.

The TCI lower gear set is supposed lower drag through the use of low friction bearings that replace standard brass thrust washers.

I stopped at Summit today on my way home from Florida and picked up the shift kit for about $40
I'm gonna yank the trans, put the shift kit in and swap in the TC in the next week or so. Still debating on spending the $730 for the TCI lower gear set while it all apart...

Mine is going for OT. 5 year program but I suspect she'll be going for a phd. I wish I had 1/4 her smarts and insight when I was her age.
I know what you mean, my son in college right now is a wiz at math and can quote all kinds of formulas. Crazy book smart, but ask him to cook a frozen pizza...

Just wait until they figure out that a Bachelors and a Masters wasn't enough. Mine is working on her Doctorate now.Cha Ching! I know the feeling about the pizza reference Craig. She's smart as a whip but can't figure out how to pour piss out of a boot with the instructions printed on the sole! I love her anyhow! ;)

Just wait until they figure out that a Bachelors and a Masters wasn't enough. Mine is working on her Doctorate now.Cha Ching! I know the feeling about the pizza reference Craig. She's smart as a whip but can't figure out how to pour piss out of a boot with the instructions printed on the sole! I love her anyhow! ;)
lol, yep mine is the same. but I too wouldn't trade him for anything!

lol, yep mine is the same. but I too wouldn't trade him for anything!
I just got to thinking Craig. I believe you met mine when y'all came to MBB. I know the majority of the MBB crowd has met her because she went with me several times.

Back