• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

CAA AC System

If I am in a situation where I can't do something myself, I am happy to pay an expert a fair price to do it well. And a fair price is whatever I am ok with paying to get the job done, regardless if there are other places to get it done cheaper (especially when cheaper could be me doing it free).

Well the Ac runs cold but the engine runs hot. I have a stock size but 3 core radiator. Before I shell out the bucks for the large radiator and brackets. What about Water Wetter?

Proper radiator, proper fan, proper coolant and it should run at the proper temp. I have always felt to set the car up correct and all will be good.

What fan and shroud you running? My last one had an alum. rad. and a SPAL fan. That did the trick with just normal coolant mix.

20" radiator with shroud and ac/clutch fan

DBCoupe%20002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It overheated the day it was 110 here. Today, it was just 100 when I drove it and it did not overheat but was hotter than normal. It was in city driving (low speed).

Low speed over heating indicates not enough air flow thru the radiator. This is where the fan comes in at. You might try a stock 7 bladed (I think they are 7) fan. It will move more air for you at slower speeds. I have never cared for the clutch fans.......

Also, if the thermostat does not have a chance to close, you cannot cool the radiator. What temp thermostat are you running?

I would run a 195....that is what I had in all my older Mustangs. That keeps the coolant in the radiator longer so it can cool off more without hurting the operating range of the engine.

Thanks, I will try that first. It figures that I gave away a 7 blade fan a couple months ago. Now I might have to buy one.

Also, don't go to heavy on the coolant vs water. Water is the better cooling fluid, coolant does the lubing and anti corrosion jobs.

This is where I am glad that I put the 2 speed Taurus fan and aluminum radiator on the '66. With the fan controller, just hook the compressor wire to the place on the controller for it and the fan comes on when the ac is turned on. Works great and doesn't over head at low speeds because the fan is pulling when the ac is on. I stay cool and the stang stays cool. Nothing like a happy camper! :yah

Put in a 190 degree thermostat and dove it in the 104 degree heat. I kept cool and the engine was better. Still room for improvement. I watching ebay for a fan now.

Good job.............I found buying direct from SPAL was the best deal at the time I was doing this.

That depends on how the compressor is mounted. Mine on the '66 exited the side per the directions.

A couple weeks ago, the 20" radiator sprung a leak. I went ahead and got a 24" big block radiator and brackets along with a non clutch fan. It is cooler now but so is the temperature outside. I guess I will see next summer.

Julie wants it more quite now no I guess I need to research some sound deadner.

Back