• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Can anyone talk me out of a tci ifs kit

mongo

Soo I have a 69 coupe that is in the stages of being put back together I was going to do the Shelby drop, boss front end bracing disc brakes and swap out any worn parts that I find along the way .. Now the question is since ill be ripping it apart and have the cash (woo tax season) should I order the tci ifs setup or stick with the plan... I don't plan to track the car but I do intend to drive it hard and don't want to regret it later

Honestly, money not well spent in most cases. Upgrading the stock parts will make a huge difference and likely be all you will ever need for your application. Give Opentracker a call. He can set you up and will not over sell you.
http://opentrackerracing.com/

For that matter, you could also call Shawn at Street or Track as well. When it comes to aftermarket set-ups he has some VERY sweet stuff.
http://streetortrack.com/

ok well heres a quick list i made on opentracker it comes out to around 2,940
admittedly i went power disc brakes and the stage 2 kit but the tci kit at 3200 and i supposedly get a better steering rack the tci kit doesnt sound half bad

Shock tower repair/ reinforcement kit (1967-1970) $199.00
$199.00
Export Brace Satin (1964-1970) $79.95
$79.95
×67-70 standard cowl brace / Export Brace Mounting Plate $31.95
$31.95
×4 piston caliper power disc brake kit ( V8 1967 1969) $749.00
$749.00
× Street Performance Front Suspension Kit – Level 2 (1967-1970) $1,585.00
$1,585.00
Performance Coil Springs (1967-1973):
KYB Gas-A-Just Front Shock (1964-1970):
Sway Bar-Front 1″ Diameter Small Block (1967-1970):
Drop Template 1″, Coil Spring Insulators, Roller Spring Perches, Upper Control Arms, Roller Lower Control Arms, Adjustable Strut Rods, Steering Kit with Roller Idler Arm:

total $2,644.90
shipped 2,938.75

Well, that is quite a list. Lots more there than expected. Did you just make a list off the site or actually talk to them and get their recommendations? You have $300 worth of bracing that is not included in the TCI kit, btw.

I can tell you that the rack is not a big deal. With the parts list you posted your ride will handle and steer very much like a modern car. And you wouldn't have to butcher the original car to install any of it.

I suggest you speak to John at Opentracker and get his advice. Like I said, he is not a typical merchant. He won't try to sell you anything. Tell him what you are after and if he thinks the other kit is a better route...he will tell you. Seriously. Great guy and he knows his stuff.

If you still want a very trick aftermarket set-up don't forget to check out Shawn's site before making any final decisions. Same with him. Talk to him. Don't just visit the website.

I'll second everything Terry said, all very sound advice.

From infinity and beyond.

Never argue with a Moron, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

no...I have no experience with the ones that Terry mentioned above and I am sure they are quality components. I did install a TCI in my 65 and am very happy with it. I started building a car that had no suspension whatsoever on the car when I got it. I knew I wanted power disc brakes, better handling that stock and something different from the normal. The car was built for my 16 year old son so I wanted it to drive well and be safe. When pricing the components like you did, I quickly determined that the TCI kit was as cost effective as building a stock type system from the ground up.

Added bonus, no shock towers!

all the cool kids have TCI suspensions!

again, I think the sellers that were listed above are very respectable and in no way to I want to infer anything bad about them.

Don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket! Speak with either John from Opentracker or Shaun from Street or Track. Both of these guys are honest and will only sell you what you really need. Both sell top quality parts. That simple fact of lowering your UCA 1" and a good alignment is going to do wonders! I would recommend adjustable struts and a LCA with a mono bearing besides a bigger sway bar and decent shocks.

Just a little update .... I plan to be ordering from open tracker in the near future. Just want to get a few things buttoned up before I order new parts

Back