• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Can I fix this?

Kats66Pny

Is there some way to get this broken end out without messing something up or does the whole dang wiring need replaced? Tried using pliers and pulling it out. Wasn't working so leaving it alone so I don't mess something up.

BrokenConnector.jpg

It's the connecting piece that sticks in the firewall between the apron and the master cylinder. It goes from the firewall, along the side the shock tower and to the radiator support to I'm guessing the lights? I forgot that when I was removing the harness, that piece was broken and there was no choice but to cut it apart so I could send my harness to Midlife.

I can't connect that part of my dash harness until I can get this fixed, if it can be. :shrug

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd get a new harness, myself. The headlight harness being under the hood and such is usually subject to the most damage from the elements, etc. Not too mention it being hacked up by POs over time.

I got spared this time. The headlight harness wasn't touched by any PO's. It looks to be the original harness, and last year when I drove it, all the lights worked, but yeah, I get your point. It wouldn't hurt to replace as much wiring as possible, especially if it's still the original stuff and 40+ yrs old.

If I have to get a new one, atleast the pricing isn't outrageous. Might be cheaper somewhere else too.
- http://store.sacramento-mustang.com/196 ... -p524.aspx

Of course I know I need a new one of these. The one I have now, it was cut off and there's no wiring to connect to the oil sending unit, so I'd probably need to get both of these.
http://store.sacramento-mustang.com/196 ... -p519.aspx
http://store.sacramento-mustang.com/196 ... -p520.aspx

Make sure you are looking at the right harness. A 65/66 w/ warning lights is $109 from them. You can usually get them much cheaper by looking around and catching sales. Wait for a CJPony sale would be my advice.

Check your original harness in the front turn signal section. I don't think I have ever seen one that wasn't cut and spliced there.

As far as I could tell, there is no cutting or spliced anything on the headlight harness. :confu Everything was there and connects perfectly (except that one piece with the broken connector in it) when I hook up the headlights, parking lights, etc. I really don't want to pull that harness out if I don't have too. I hate wiring. :rant

Try screwing a drywall or sheet metal screw into the center of the broken pin and pulling it out.

I can't see the picture at work, so I have to wait until I get home.

Don't you dare touch it, Kat, until I give you permission!!!!

Better take a closer/larger picture for Mid.......he is used to his old man 90 power magnifiers.....

OK...now that I can see the picture, I can tell you what to do. I've done this many times with great success. First, find a small drill bit and drill out a center hole in the messed up plug. Then, get an easy-out, put your drill in reverse, and lightly apply pressure with the easy-out into the center hole. It should grab the remnant of the broken pin and you should be able to pull it out.

If you don't have an easy-out, start drilling ever so larger holes. At some point, the plug will come out with the drill.

Spent this morning messing with this broken connector. Had to go borrow a friends drill since I can't find mine. :shrug Anyway I used an easy out like you said.. and it came out. Kind of.

The broken piece came out as well as part of the connector. The inside metal part. It's stuck on the broken piece.
The right female plug still has a metal piece inside and the left female now has nothing but rubber.
1.jpg

You can see the broken piece still wrapped in the piece that is suppose to still be in the female plug.
2.jpg

fuuu.png

Well, luckily this Friday is payday and I can just order a new damn harness.

Oh damn...I've never seen that happen to me! If you're going to remove and replace the harness, just send it to me and I'll splice in a replacement connector. Lord knows how many of those I have laying around.

Ok so maybe removing this isn't as simple as I thought it would be. It seems to be connected to everything and can't tell if it's suppose to one long harness... or if the PO made it that way with his love of electrical tape. :shrug

Here some pics and even a video of what it looks like.

Goes from the firewall, along the shock tower and splits, with one part going along the top of the radiator and another down into the radiator/core support.
harness1.jpg

Then come back out the passenger side and up to this box.
harness6.jpg

harness7.jpg

Then runs from there back to the firewall side behind the carb and then splits off into a few other sections.
harness2.jpg

harness3.jpg

harness4.jpg

Then another piece comes out of it and is connected to nothing because the PO or someone cut it off. I believe it is suppose to connect to oil sending unit.
harness5.jpg

and if those pictures are confusing, here's a video.
http://youtu.be/L6YHqV6R36E

The headlight harness snakes along the driver's side up to the radiator support, and breaks out down and left to the headlights and voltage regulator, and the rest continues down below the radiator support (or is at least supposed to...), and over to the battery/alternator area. There, it breaks out to the RH headlights and a bunch of plugs. Those plugs attach to the alternator harness and the gauge harness; the latter snakes along the passenger side fender back to the firewall, attaching to the heater, the coil, water temp, and oil sending units.

Send it to me, and I'll fix you right up for no charge. Consider it a Santa's gift.

"Midlife" said:
Send it to me, and I'll fix you right up for no charge. Consider it a Santa's gift.

:yah Thanks! Wait... should be scared on what else you might send back? :confu

Back