• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Can I fix this?

Ok even more reason to hate the PO. I tried taking the harness out but it isn't going to happen unless I go in and remove all tape/wrapping and cut wires apart. :rant He has it wired and taped up so much to so many different things that if I take it all apart, Gertrude may never start again. LOL

If I take it all out, it would have to be a total redo of the harness. So I don't know....

1. Should I risk it and cut off all the electrical tape and cut wires and yank all that out and just get a new harness and start from scratch...

2. Should I just leave it all alone (it obviously worked and Gert started/ran/drove lol) and you can mail me the connector (or maybe go buy one from auto parts store) and I can try to fix it?

3. Light the damn car on fire and send it off a cliff so I can finally see her do 75mph?

:shrug

Fix things right??? :pbj Or, be one of those "previous owners who half-asses things" that everyone bitches about??? :char

You've come this far. :thu

"BobV" said:

+1

You've put so much time and effort into the car, why leave something that is half-arsed? You may find that there's alot of wires that you don't need anymore.

Kat:
It won't work now with the one connector destroyed on the engine compartment side. I can send you a connector with pigtails and you can have hubby solder in the 8 wires...probably the quickest thing to do. The correct answer is to replace all of that junk with repro.

Are there any cliffs high enough in your area? What are the chances of your obtaining a license to buy explosives?

"BobV" said:
Fix things right??? :pbj Or, be one of those "previous owners who half-asses things" that everyone bitches about??? :char

+1

If you do not fix it correctly now, you will soon regret it.......put in a new harness and get the entire car done right. Many here can talk you thru any issues that arise......although certain paintings may be requested in return.......

"AzPete" said:
If you do not fix it correctly now, you will soon regret it.......put in a new harness and get the entire car done right. Many here can talk you thru any issues that arise......although certain paintings may be requested in return.......

:char

You go, girl, with hitting Pete over the head. He's just jealous because he'll only see the painting instead of owning it!

If I go ahead and take it all out and replace it with a repo harness, will it be complicated getting it to work with the 302 setup I have (from a 1990 GT) w/MSD ignition coil?

I would have to get this right?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/HEADLIGHT-TO ... 66/p/WHL3/
WHL3.jpg

That looks like a LOT less wiring that what I have in mine. :shrug

and probably this as well?
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ALTERNATOR-W ... /p/WALT3B/
WALT3B.jpg

anything else?

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll also need the gauge feed harness (maybe), if the PO made it a hard-line into some of the alternator wiring (second pic)...

You have my permission to use whatever you want to beat the shit out of the PO.

Well that was fun ripping out the old harness. :roul
Here's what I believe is what is left of the stock harness.
HH1.jpg

And here is what I believe the PO added.
HH2.jpg

I said hell with it and cut off the broken connector, took it with me to the auto parts stores looking for one close to it so my husband could just put a new one on. Well no luck. :censored So came home and took it all out. :part

So uh Midlife... wanna try to redo it? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really. :shrug It looks like more effort to repair what you have than to simply start from a good used core. I can look to see if I have good headlight and gauge cores, but I do know I have no good alternator harnesses in stock. You can send me what you have as cores, and I can charge you $75 for the headlight and $35 for the gauge harness, my standard prices. Repro's go for $105 and $40, respectively. For $45 more dollars, you get nice crisp reproductions, and that is my typical recommendation for underhood stuff.

Now you know why we all hate PO's (except me, of course...).

Back