• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Carb trade

Kats66Pny

I had someone offer to even trade me a new chrome edelbrock 650 carb for the 700 double pumper holley carb I have in my 66 (even with the broken bolt in it) ..and he said he'd even do the swap for me. Should I? Hubby thinks I don't really need the 700 one. :lol

Based on the brief info of your engine, I would say it would work fine. Is he going to set up the carb once he installs it?

You are getting a lesser of a carb but I think you would be happy for street use.......if you are keeping the car.......

Damn, and someone else just said they'd trade their 600 for my 700. Sheesh! Bryan/College station people are "nice". :lol

He just said he'd do the swap. I don't know about the set up, but I could ask if that's part of the deal. I'm pretty sure this guy is one of the ones who came over and looked at my stang. I learned he's restoring a Cougar.

I guess it all boils down to (1) Am I going to keep Gertrude (2) Do I want something better suited for stop & go daily traffic. Decisions suck.

Yep....decisions are one reason we have to try and act adult sometimes.

If you are lucky, you will make the decision just as another deal rolls out of reach......BUT MAKE ONE.....ok. :lol :lol :lol

Do you have a manual trans with an modified engine? Or if an automatic, is the engine substantially modified? If the answer to either of these is "no," then you'd be better off removing the double-pumper and going with a vacuum-secondary carb, IMHO.

If you are lucky, you will make the decision just as another deal rolls out of reach......BUT MAKE ONE.....ok.
:lol I made my decision to keep her. I went to the Friday night meet and was able to talk to THE Ford guy of the club tonight. First time I saw him at a meet. Anyway, got to talking with him to see if had an extra export brace laying around. He has 2, a black one and chrome one. Said I can pick which ever and its mine. Also has like 4 or 5 grill/headlight assemblys, fenders, hoods, horns. Said he has TONS of mustang parts in is barn (he finds them, strips them down completely) and to make a list of what I need or just stop by anytime and look around his garage. So the hubby and I will probably be checking out his collection of parts tomorrow. :vic

Do you have a manual trans with an modified engine? Or if an automatic, is the engine substantially modified? If the answer to either of these is "no," then you'd be better off removing the double-pumper and going with a vacuum-secondary carb, IMHO.
I have no idea how modified the engine is, if it is at all.

When I was talking to the Ford guy, I told him how I was offered a carb swap. He said, "you told him no right? To hell with gas mileage!" :lol
He also let me sit in his 66 stang. Oh man... it was amazing. So with his parts, bugging Stangfix members and my local club members.. I just might be able to make Gertrude pretty!

Good......now use the help offered and you will be surprised how fast things come together.

I decided to go ahead and do the trade. He's going to be coming over here in a little bit and do the swap and make sure everything is good to go and works. :ecit I'll take pics later tonight of the new carb once it's in.

"blue65coupe" said:
Geez-o-peez you change your mind worse that a wom........nevermind. I think the 650 is plenty.

Yea,,, I heard she was going to trade it for a PT or minivan......

are you sure you know what the carb is you're trading away? did you research the list number on the air horn?

I know the one traded for is cheaper. I looked them both up before I agreed to it. I figure fair enough trade considering mine had a broken bolt stuck in it, and he was willing to do all the labor and make sure everything is running good and working properly. He's an ASE mechanic (as well as a cop).

Here's the new carb on Gertrude.
newcarb.jpg

We were missing a bolt and the gasket thing was leaking, so he's gonna check his garage to see if he has the correct bolt and gasket, if not he's gonna go buy them and bring them over in the morning. He also needs to bend a metal hose thingy that was too long for the new carb. He also took out the nitrous crap. :vic We learned the air filter was chrome and shiney originally, but PO spray painted over it probably because of rust. So this guy is going to remove the spray paint, rust, and shine it back up for me. Also pointed out the transmission was leaking and can't remember what he said it was, but he said it was a simple fix and not expensive.

He also asked if there was anything else I wanted/needed him to look at. I said no, but then he brought up the brakes and pulling to the right. He offered to take a look at that as well, but I told him we can do it some other day. He had his wife and 2 children with him and I could tell the little ones were getting sleepy and bored. I didn't want to make the little ones suffer. :lol

All in all, I think it was/is a fair trade. Sure my 700 was more expensive and better, and I end up with a cheaper one, but figure in the rest of the stuff he is doing and offering to help with it comes out even in my books.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was a good trade. Especially since the labor is free :10

I am running a 600 on my car and it is more than enough carb...almost seems like too much carb at times.

Don't let folks tell you the Edelbrock can't be used for performance, either. Lots of boats running around with the same design on them, and many turning >1 hp/ci at less than 5000 rpm.

Little Update of todays drama...

Before my husband went to work tonight, he went out into the garage to see what all had been done. I mentioned everything to him that was told to me by this guy, and what was done (so far) to Gertrude. Well my husband went to start her up and it just did that whine and never turned over and started. Few minutes later and several pumps on the gas pedal, she finally started up. But kept wanting to die. Foot had to stay on the gas pedal to keep her running. Timing issue I guess? Hubby said the gas pedal felt funny/different than before and one time he stepped on the gas pedal the engine got LOUD and stayed loud as if the gas pedal was slammed to the floor, and the whole garage went up in smoke from exhaust.

He also noticed gas leaking from the carb and leaving a puddle on the manifold. Husband not too happy and says the car sounds like $hit and runs like $hit and wanted me to get back the holley. I called the guy up, apologized and said this doesn't seem to be working and I'd like to re-swap and get my holley back as well as the original Ford Racing Air cleaner I had on (he replaced it with a shiney Edelbrock one he had).

I already have a guy from my car club who also said to get the holley back and he'll work on it and get things back and running as before. So the guy came over and gave me back the holley and took his edlebrock back.

Back