• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Carb trade

I can't see anything touching the headers except some spark plug wires which I checked and saw no melted rubber on them. I checked under the car, didn't see anything that looked suspicious, melted or anything. I guess the next step would be start her up and let her run some and see if anything starts smoking?

Yep. Stay with it while it heats up, and you should be able to track it down. I'd keep an extinguisher around, but since your hubby opened the hood with it already smoking, a fire is unlikely.

Nah, all the burning rubber leaves a nasty taste on them-

Just wait around for the gas tank fireworks big finale!

Just wait around for the gas tank fireworks big finale!

:bur

Well, let her run for a while. No leaks. Not a hint of smoke anywhere to be seen or smelled. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. :amaz Now thiis going to annoy me since I have no idea what it was.

Do like I do with the buses.....

:bur

Drive them until they burst into flames and then let the insurance company worry about it.

:rain :beg

Mel

It sounds like to me it has a wild cam in it and it needs to have the timing adjusted and probably the carb adjusted.

I wouldn't work about the fire issue it looks OK from the video.???...???

She certainly has some real potential once you get all the PO bugs worked out. sometimes it takes a while to iron those PO gremlins out. I am still battling a couple in the 67 and I have been working on it and had it worked on for many years. I think I have owned that car for ten years now.

Mel

Whats a 'wild cam' ??

Thats what hubby and I were thinking, timing. I was hoping to take her to a meet and have some of the guys check it over, but it was raining Wednesday night so didn't make it. Hopefully I can make it tonight. I figure a big group of 10-15 guys should be able to help and pinpoint any issues I'm not seeing.

Took her for a cruise around the neighborhood to see if driving would cause smoke. Nothing visible coming from the hood while driving. Pulled back into the driveway, checked the engine again....

MY HEADERS ARE SMOKING! Not the headers themselves actually, but the gray heat wrap around it is where there was a small amount of smoke. :wtf

Then I recalled I used Engine Brite not long ago to clean up a few things. Maybe I accidently got some on the heat wrap around the headers and it dried and now burning off?

"Kats66Pny" said:
Then I recalled I used Engine Brite not long ago to clean up a few things. Maybe I accidently got some on the heat wrap around the headers and it dried and now burning off?

Sounds like the cause. It'll pass...just not a good idea to let it burn off in the garage. Park it outside until the headers cool down before pulling in. Don't need to be breathing in those fumes.

Is it safe to drive though? Will it just burn off or is there a chance it could cause a fire? Do I need to take a water hose or something and try to rinse it off or just leave it alone?

I wanted to take her to the meet tonight (which is about 2 miles from my house). :sad

"Kats66Pny" said:
MY HEADERS ARE SMOKING!

Quit buying them cigarettes. Next they'll be hanging out with other bad parts in your garage, drinking tequila and starting a gang. :guns

Is there a reason that you have the headers wrapped? That wrap has a tendency to trap moisture (condensation as the headers cool) and will slowly rust out the headers.

"66gt350" said:
Quit buying them cigarettes. Next they'll be hanging out with other bad parts in your garage, drinking tequila and starting a gang. :guns

Is there a reason that you have the headers wrapped? That wrap has a tendency to trap moisture (condensation as the headers cool) and will slowly rust out the headers.

:lol

The wrap was something PO did. Personally I think they are ugly and don't like them.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Is it safe to drive though? Will it just burn off or is there a chance it could cause a fire? Do I need to take a water hose or something and try to rinse it off or just leave it alone?

I wanted to take her to the meet tonight (which is about 2 miles from my house). :sad

If that is all it is...it's fine to drive. As that wrap is prone to soaking up stuff I'm sure you're right on the cause. You need to drive to burn it off anyway.

Phew! Ok thanks!!

About the heat wrap. Is it easily removed? Don't headers need to be special coated or something to help control heat if they aren't wrapped?

"Kats66Pny" said:
:lol

The wrap was something PO did. Personally I think they are ugly and don't like them.

That was funny.

I would say take the wrap off and through it away. You are not building a drag car here. Even John didn't use wrap on Scary and it is stupid fast!

Mel

Drove Gertrude out to the meet tonight and no smoke or big fire. :pbj

Also got some guys to adjust the carb. Sounds much better now. :vic

Do I need to take a water hose or something and try to rinse it off or just leave it alone?

Your issue seems resolved, but I wanted to mention that it's NEVER a good idea to "hose off" a hot header/engine. The rapid cooling could lead to problems/cracking.

Back