• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

carpet right over sound deadener?

steveh326

with any luck I should be installing my carpet in a week or so. my plan is to just lay it over my sound deadener without any other underlayment, unless someone tells me that's a bad idea? I am using the ACC carpet with the mass (rubber) backing

Why I bothered to sound deaden the floor of a convertible is beyond me, but that's a question of my sanity for another day... I think in my head I was hoping to avoid muffler drone.

50.JPG

Yep that’s ok
You may have problem compressing it when mounting seats and seat belts. But it will work

I used carpet padding between the Dynomat deadener and carpet and I will explain my thinking. Sound deadening material works by "capturing" or limiting the waves upon which noise travel across or through a material. The effectiveness can vary based on many factors including the frequency of the noise. The very best way to limit or reduce noise from one area to another is to have multiple layers of disruption between them. Air gaps also help to contain these "waves". Conventional carpet pad will further reduce the level of noise emanating from below. In my case, I would say it did so significantly.

thanks guys for the replies... seems like it'll be ok either way. I already have an issue with too tight of a fit with my TMI console slipping between the dash and the trans hump, so I don't want to add any additional thickness if I don't have to.

good tip also, I think I will trim the deadener back from the front seat mounting areas so nothing to compress there.

Back