• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Changing Door Hinge Pins?

tarafied1

Anybody change door hinge pins and bushing on a Fox Body?
Do I just drive 'em out with a punch? Looks like they are flared on the bottom, so do they have to be ground off first? Can I do it with taking the doors off? Looks like I would have to remove the fenders to get the doors off.

i did it on an '86 vert. I just drove the pins up and changed the brass bushings. I have no idea though if the pins were ever removed before me. I left all the electrical intact, and the fenders and everything as they were. Just be sure to have some jack stands and a helper to help steady the door. when its free, that thing is heavy.

thanks. The pins on my 93 vert have the ends flared. I'll try to snap a pic, but I think if I grind the flare off the end I should be able to force it out.

I didn't get to it. I worked on the Expedition instead. The door lock actuators were not unlocking. They would lock but struggled to unlock. I discovered that the little motors have a resistor that gets weak I guess. I took them apart, removed the resistors and put them back together and they work great. It was a PIA however, to remove all 4 door panels, get those suckers out, take them apart without breaking them ( I destroyed the first one but then figured out how to do the rest without breaking them). Then put the whole thing back together. Then I flew to Denver for work so the door hinges will wait till this weekend I guess.
But if anyone has problems with your late model Ford door lock actuators, I know how to fix them rather than replace them (they are ~$80 each!)

I'm going to have to fix that too on my passenger door. I'll take some pics when I do it. Maybe this Sunday...

Back