• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cheap disk brakes

Nothing against you or F15Falcon (who is VERY knowledgeable/capable), but I REALLY have a problem with some of these "budget" internet builds...

:soapboxrant

You're mixing and matching parts, buying brackets and hardware that were never meant for highway use, modifying those parts, etc. Hey - brakes are only the thing that stops your car and keeps you from wrecking - the ONE item I'd never rely on internet advice for... ONE missed detail, ONE piece of hardware that's inadequate, even ONE keyboard mis-stroke (oh, I meant 3/4, not 3/8), and you're dead. :wth

If you're getting paint or body advice, OK. Maybe engine or transmission advice, OK. But brake advice, I really have a hard time relying on internet experts. Even some of the suspension and steering "advice" that people give... Sooner or later, either the O.P., or a well-meaning reader is going to make a mistake, and get a car bent up, or, worse yet, someone killed.

It's brakes - do it right. Go to Street or Track, CSRP, SSBC, or someone established, that runs a real business, who has tested their stuff, and for the sake of your next-of-kin, probably has product liability insurance...

Just my rant for the day. :confu

/ :soapboxrant

:thu

I don't plan on putting disk brakes.. going to stay with drum brakes, I just thought it was interesting 'how-to' article. lol

I have no problems with piecing together a kit, as long as you are knowledgable and have an understanding of how the parts work as a system. My Dad has been doing it for years and years on all his builds. Never once has he shelled out money t buy an expensive kit. And he runs disc on pretty much everything.

The only real thing, that I see, that I don't like about the above stated kit is the caliper mounting bracket and the spacers. I would want that to be a 1 piece type bracket. If I was to make my own bracket, and source the parts - I would not have any concerns with the kit.

I really need to upgrade to front disc at some point too.

I have to agree with Bob on this one. At least for the basis for the argument. I think it becomes even more of a valid point when the person taking the direction is a novice or has limited experience dealing with such systems. Spend a little time surfing the web looking at some of the "home-built" stuff out there and you'll be afraid to drive on public streets again! The corners people cut never cease to amaze. Many times, they don't even realize what they have done simply because they don't know any better.

In the case of disc brake conversions, there are a multitude of available options that are either actual proven automotive manufacturer systems or kits made up of such parts that cost little more than the example posted by Kat. Save a few extra bucks and buy a kit from someone who has taken the time to make sure it not only works well but is also safe.

you have mad fab & weld skills though so of course you'd have no problem making stuff! :thu The rest of us though... aren't as talented.

"70_Fastback" said:
I have no problems with piecing together a kit, as long as you are knowledgable and have an understanding of how the parts work as a system. My Dad has been doing it for years and years on all his builds. Never once has he shelled out money t buy an expensive kit. And he runs disc on pretty much everything.

The only real thing, that I see, that I don't like about the above stated kit is the caliper mounting bracket and the spacers. I would want that to be a 1 piece type bracket. If I was to make my own bracket, and source the parts - I would not have any concerns with the kit.

I really need to upgrade to front disc at some point too.
I type too slow. I was typing my last response when you posted.

This is what I mean. A guy like you knows what gauge steel to use to make that part. Or where a higher grade bolt may be necessary, etc. There are 20 year olds who would run across this article and think themselves capable since, after all, they changed the oil in their mom's Honda once. They'll find some old lawn furniture that they can cut with a hacksaw and use it to make caliper brackets. The internet can be a curse sometimes.

"AzPete" said:
Dang....might as well throw out the old lawn furniture now........lol
I don't know, Pete. You might have what it takes to re-purpose that old chaise.

You mean I can't use all that white PVC plastic to make brackets with?

Dang it now I've got to redo so very much!

Mel

"Horseplay" said:
I type too slow. I was typing my last response when you posted.

This is what I mean. A guy like you knows what gauge steel to use to make that part. Or where a higher grade bolt may be necessary, etc. There are 20 year olds who would run across this article and think themselves capable since, after all, they changed the oil in their mom's Honda once. They'll find some old lawn furniture that they can cut with a hacksaw and use it to make caliper brackets. The internet can be a curse sometimes.

Well, getting the car bug in the '70s, I can attest that the internet did not create this situation. I knew guys that I would not ride in thier cars because they were pieced together so poorly from bits and parts from junkyards and homemade parts - including 'upgraded' drum brakes. So, my take is that this has existed all along, and the internet now allows people to be exposed to more information than the local swap expert.

Now, how they use that info is another matter, but articles like this did not cause the problem.

I can remember my Dad telling of things guys did when he was playing with cars in the 30's and 40's too. He always told of one kid who used baling wire to hold his Model A front axle to the spring. Carried extra wire for when it needed replaced instead of replacing the bracket and bolt. Dad rode with him once........

.....for those city folk.....baling wire is what is used to hold hay bales together.......hay bales....those square or round things that do not move on their own that you see in fields.....fields......those wide open places between towns where wally world will build some day.......lol

"apollard" said:
Well, getting the car bug in the '70s, I can attest that the internet did not create this situation. I knew guys that I would not ride in thier cars because they were pieced together so poorly from bits and parts from junkyards and homemade parts - including 'upgraded' drum brakes. So, my take is that this has existed all along, and the internet now allows people to be exposed to more information than the local swap expert.

Now, how they use that info is another matter, but articles like this did not cause the problem.
Agree... "Stupid" pre-dates the internet...

However, when EarlyLife (he wasn't old enough to be Midlife yet :yah) baling-wired his Model A axle to the spring, he did that on his own... And if it failed, it was his own (un)doing...

Nowadays, junior reads an article and "substantially completes" what was listed, then goes and get killed. Do you think the 'rents will be looking for a payday, or just blame their stupid kid? :part

"apollard" said:

I think you missed my point or maybe I wasn't exactly clear. I fully realize idiots have been around long before even electricity. What I meant was people today have access to so much information via the web they sometimes think they know more or are more capable than reality. You can research all you want. Watch all the Youtube videos. That still doesn't replace actually DOING something to learn about it. Look at Abe and his welding progress. I'm sure he read a lot. Watched a lot of videos, etc. He practiced. All of that no doubt helped but when John visited and gave him experienced instruction is when he really started to show some significant improvement and road worthy results.

My main point is that nothing is ever as easy or simple as it appears. There are always skill sets and past experience involved in everything we do when it comes to working on our cars that are not always accounted for in some of the "internet training".

True, big difference in acquiring the correct knowledge (like from folks here) and actually applying it-

I think another word that is so widely used~ is "cheap", How cheaply can I do it? What's worse is when trying to sell something that I paid top dollar for, "what's the least you'll take?" We want the absolutely best Cheaply made system!! Going to buy a radio~ "what's the best cheap radio you have? I'm no different! But I've learned~ Overall, we do things cheaply automatically cause so much stuff is made in other countries(Not here in the good ole USA)~ and yet we still want it cheap! lol and even then it still costs a great deal! :confu
On my stang, I could have bought the best brake system available, but in an effort to do it "cheap"~ I wound up spending a great deal of time and money. At least on my chevy, I got a decent power front disc brake system and did it right the first time!

IMG_9419.jpg

"AzPete" said:
I can remember my Dad telling of things guys did when he was playing with cars in the 30's and 40's too. He always told of one kid who used baling wire to hold his Model A front axle to the spring. Carried extra wire for when it needed replaced instead of replacing the bracket and bolt. Dad rode with him once........

.....for those city folk.....baling wire is what is used to hold hay bales together.......hay bales....those square or round things that do not move on their own that you see in fields.....fields......those wide open places between towns where wally world will build some day.......lol

Yeah, but if you dbl the wire and spin it, it becomes as strong as steel [nb]considering it was steel before it was spun :roll[/nb]

Back