• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cleaning the bay...

Yep that is the part. It kinda looks like a chevy part. Um, I think in the 60s many chevys were painted that color on the interior. I seem to remember some relatives with Plymouths that were also painted that color on the inside....Nice color for a 66. Are you planning a black interior with that color?

I would consider the blue interior package with that color or white.

Mel

Isn't this just pretty! :yah
IMG_4549.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

No clearcoat or anything. Just 2 coats of the paint.
Not the best paint job, but dangit I'm proud of it. Makes me feel like I got some accomplished since something got painted. lol It helps motivate to see something done.

That would make sense since color is actually a GM color. This color is pretty sweet. Its gray with metallic so it's got some sparkle to it, but it has a hint of blue in it as well. It's pretty! I want the whole car this color, but more pearl in it.

I was thinking this color on the dash with black dash pad, steering column of course with black steering wheel with 3 chrome spokes inside, black seats, black carpet, black headliner, black door panels w/chrome trim OR black with gray insert door panels w/chrome trim. Rear package tray I was thinking either black or gray cloth (I'm going to custom make my own with plywood or cardboard and a trip to the fabric store). Oh and blue LED lights where ever I can put them.

I haven't given the interior much thought at all. :sarc

Now to go toss on the coveralls and get in the engine bay and get dirty! :pbj

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you. When you get to the interior just do what ever you want and what makes you excited..

When I get around to switching out the black dash pad for my blue one the black one will be here for you.

Mel

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Front of the radiator support... grinded down, cleaned, & primered! :yah

Fun part is tomorrow... working inside the bay. :hide

Just curious.....what are you using for the grinding? Hopefully a soft disc or flapper type wheel.

And..... :wop

OMG.....just do a replacement. It really isn't that more difficult to do as compared to a patch.

Actually, a patch is harder because you must cut the old out and then match the cut for the patch. Then butt weld it in place and smooth it, then weld any places you missed, then grind, then patch the hole you just blew thru it trying to get that last little spot filled with weld. Then you rip it all out and do it right....a full panel.

But, I never had that problem..... :sarc

sand paper & knotted wire brush thingy. :shrug

I need to remember to take more pictures of 'during'. Forgot the before pic too. But when I did remember to get one, I had already done a good portion. Some area's I was not able to reach, so I POR-15'd those little hard to reach areas.

IMG_4551.jpg

IMG_4552.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You should pull the nut plates and wire clips to paint under them since you are right there anyway. Looking good though....

I too would recommend full replacement.

I was wanting to do a patch as well, hell, I tried it bit it wasn't working for me. Finally got to the point where I lost the battle against thin metal blowing out and did the full replacement. I can tell you one thing for sure, once I had a good idea what I was doing, it quick and painless. For the most part.

I have to agree with everyone else, you are doing a great job. But I do have a question, why is the tranny still in there? Why not a little more while your at it. :roll If the tranny is out it can be cleaned up, well then the driveshaft will have to come out as well. Oh yea so much fun. :sarc

fd

You can put the tranny in the trunk. The drive shaft will stand up in a corner, just be sure to tape the U-Joint ends so they don't come off.

Mel

Kat,

I'm making the assumption you are using rattle can primer. If that's the case, at least use an etching primer on the bare metal. You can also get a real two part epoxy primer in a spray can these days too. That basic gray primer is not the ideal product to be using in that fashion. It lacks the adhesion and durability of the other choices. It can actually lead you into some problems with rust and such.

Sometimes you have to get a little creative.

I built this little platform out of 6x4's which houses Fred's 3 speed, a T-10 and pulls double duty by keeping Fred's doors off the floor.

a6cd8a5a-8008-8c21.jpg

Back