• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Current Projects

How many of you have a current project car you are working on?

• One

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Multiple

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Mine is Finished (for the most part)

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

Sluggo

Vote above and then describe your project in a reply.

BTW, there is a reason for gathering this info. :naug

I have 4.
My Mach still needs some touchup work and buffing, interior and suspension work.
1969 Boss 302 gutted and on rotisserie.
1970 Boss 302 clone getting uncloned.
1965 K Code vert ground up.

Other than fixing the PO screw ups and a few mods, I drive the darn thing all the time.

No project car for me, one's enough. Now I'm constantly tweaking things...just swapped the 3.70's for 4.11's, gonna track test it tomorrow.

Two right here:
1966 Coupe - My first car, trying to revive it from the dead enough to drive it as a beater, until life grants me the equipment/time to really tear it down to a shell and do a proper restoration

1989 VW Cabriolet - my wife dreamed of having one of these for years, and one day I was passing a car lot, and boom there it was. haggled it down to damn near free, and drove it home. My wife and I have an understanding that no more time/money/work goes into the cabrio until my mustang is breathing fire again.

More than you prolly wanted to know :)

I have three projects:

1. 1968 Coupe, aka Murphy, getting it ready for the Los Angeles National Show, number of things to redo.

2. 1968 Fastback, aka Trouble. Need I say more?

3. 1966 Mustang Jr., will start working on it this fall once it's cooler. I want to go for a ride!

I'm in the home stretch for my 67 fastback project. A complete restoration from unibody shell to new engine, drivetrain, suspension, and interior has been going on for 3.5 years.
(yeah, i'm slow) :run

Lately, I've been side tracked with a lot of other responsibilities... work, trips with SWMBO, in-law visits, etc... but I keep checking tasks off the list. Headliner successfully installed Sunday!

Hopefully, it'll be drivable in a few more weeks.

My '65 fastback project is going on 5 years. I've replaced the floors, battery apron, both quarters, partial outer rocker, and taillight panel. It really needs a roof skin too, but Sluggo called me a P#$$y, so I'm gonna fix it. If I can ever finish the body and get it painted (doing all this myself), then I can bolt on all the nice new shiny parts I've acquired over the years. Unfortunately, I don't see any end in sight. Whenever it is completed, it'll be Wimbledon White with black standard interior. Simple, no flash on the outside, but modern underneath. I already have full TCP front suspension, Maier rear leafs and panhard, Baer 13" discs up front/2000 Cobra rear discs, 9" N case w/ Det locker. I also have a G-Force T5 and TFS TW CNC205 heads for it, but haven't bought the shortblock yet. That'll be a 408W. I have the motivation to buy parts, just not enough to keep my butt in the garage working consistently. Anyway, that's my Mustang.

My '63 Fairlane is a driving project. Very original, and drives great. 260-2V burns a lot of oil, but I have a roller 302/T5 on ready 5 to replace it over the winter. I probably work on this car too much, and the Mustang not enough. I already rebuilt the front end, added disc brakes (thanks Shaun and Chockostang), redid the interior, switched to an alternator, and added Halogens (with headlight relays) and LED lighting. The car is beige on Ivy Gold, which brings a bit of throw up to my mouth, but it must get in line as the Mustang gets paint first. Plans are for Wimbledon White on red. Yeah, I like WW.

I'm starting to add some pics to the gallery too.

Along with the 66 vert, I've got a 66 Coupe that I pulled from a local JY that I've been (slowly) working on. It was a 6cyl car that was in surprisingly good condition structurally. needed floors and about 6" of rear framerail (shackle point) repair but the rest looked pretty good.
then there's my 91 "notch" that's getting Exploder heads/intake, and a "B" cam going in as we speak! (err type...) Can't wait to see what that does for it :cool I have already put in a close ratio T5 (was AOD) and 3:73's in the rear

Aside from the gremlins in the 'stang, I'm getting ready to start on a 1976 F250 Camper Special with the 460. I popped a head gasket about 2 years ago and instead of replacing it then, I'm getting ready to tear the whole thing apart for engine rebuild and paint. It was given to me about 5 years ago from the in-laws. They didn't use it anymore and I drove it from AL to NC one Thanksgiving. My wife's g'father bought it new in '76 to pull horses with. 6 months after he got it he was in a head on collision and pretty much comatose(sp) for 6 months before dying. They had the truck fixed and kept it and passed it on to me. Can't think of a better time than now to restore that thing back to it's luster. Great truck, a little surface rust-nothing major. The only trouble I'm gonna have with it is getting the original radio/cb to operate correctly again. (And finding that pinstriping) I'm guessing the only upgrade I will do is run headers/dual exhaust. The rest of the truck will be stock. Kinda wierd driving it though knowing the history. Not really because of what happened, but the steering column is between 5-10* off center.

Restoration is complete. Just doing an engine rebuild due to timing gear drive failure. Doing a couple of upgrades as well since it's tore down.

After many years all the major stuff done. A few odds and ends to get to, but there will always be something to change out or improve. May add Grabber stripes at a later date.

Finishing up the '67 my daughter bought in December and hopefully it will go home with her to Oakland within the next 2 weeks.

The '66 and '69 are done, and driven all the time, although there's a couple things I want to change on each.

67 coupe, owned for 16 years. It was a northern car, so I learned to weld by replacing large amounts of sheet metal.

The good news is the car is finally off to the dip shop at end of July.

67 Fastback - on the road for the last 12 months, but several major areas to address:
- rotted floor
- rotted cowl
- new tranny
- new late-model seats
- may reinstate A/C

97 Faleen - daily driver
- new engine, currently finalizing the buildup

Just Shag. Haven't even started figuring out when I'm going to restore Mr. Truck. Too fun to drive "as is".

"garner67" said:
A complete restoration ...been going on for 3.5 years.
(yeah, i'm slow) :run
I've only been working on mine for nearly 20 years :vio
It's mostly done aside from the continuosly ongoing urge to change things and the occasional repair. Future plans include a R&P, tilt column, 5 or 6 speed OD, wider rear wheels & tires, aluminum heads, etc. It was a Chicago "rust belt" beater that has been almost completly re-skinned, new quarters, floors, frame rails, etc.
Currently looking for another project but not in any real hurry. I have a few potential project vehicles but not sure they are the right project.

Since you asked Sluggo, I have thought maybe we could have a "sticky" with a link to each of the project cars history for the members. Many of the pics are in the gallery but it would be cool to see them in order and read some details...

Back