• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Custom Center Console

lethal289

In general, I like the way center consoles look. After some thought, I was sure i could mimic the Shelby console a little, since i totally dislike those hump hugger models. Today, i started on a custom center console for my 67. First i took a long piece of card board (about 4 feet) and cut out a rough shape of how i wanted the profile to be. Tucking it nicely up under the radio bezel and ending about 4 inches from the back seat.

166_12_09_09_7_23_45_0.jpg

Once i had the a profile I was happy with, i decided to transfer the cardboard template onto some 3/4 inch plywood. Once i had one side cut out, i used the router to cut the second.

166_12_09_09_7_23_46_1.jpg

166_12_09_09_7_44_20_1.JPG

166_12_09_09_7_44_20_2.JPG

166_12_09_09_7_44_20_3.JPG

166_12_09_09_7_44_21_4.JPG

166_12_09_09_7_44_38_0.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be gauges, thats the one of the reasons im doing it. I have some autometer phantoms that will be going in there.

Its 3/4 plywood. A little much, but surprisingly lite. Ive been toying with idea of using it as a mold, and making one out of fiberglass. Im a little concerned with the wood over a long period of time, if somebody spills a drink, that sort of thing.

The plan is to wrap it in the same materials i used on the seats. But if i go fiberglass, ill just paint it.

If i mold mine, is there any market for these? Assuming of course, that people would have to cut their own shifter hole in the fiberglass since im using a hurst.

i even have an idea on how to do the aluminum insert pretty easily. This is what im shooting for with some differences. 3 gauges, hurst shifter, and deeper/ wider usable glove box.

yhst-13525187779972_2066_17757714

yhst-13525187779972_2066_17779589

Last edited by a moderator:
What does that one in the picture run, about $425-$500, I'd bet there is a market for a more reasonable version. I'd like to have one, eventually.

As seen in the pic, $675. I have no way of doing the armrest decal. Hmmm, maybe ill try to make a mold and see what i get. I guess ill have to do some more research.

if you could sell emm for 200 or less there would probably be a good amount of people that want them could even sell them uncovered

"pnandy" said:
if you could sell emm for 200 or less there would probably be a good amount of people that want them could even sell them uncovered
I agree, that's why I have a humphugger. It was around $175. I could afford that. I have a 67/68 factory console but I like the armrest/storage of the humphugger (and yours).

Craig, does your humphugger have cup holders? If it does, would you mind snapping a few close up pics for me...

Ok. so im seriously considering molding these, and if i do the wood grain and screw holes would led to some serious problems. I need to do it out of much more finished wood. So today i went to get some 1/2 inch mdf to make the plug (The thing that you cast the mold out of, in this case the plug is the console itself). Ive never tried to mold something this large, so im skeptical i can even get it to work. Any way, i scrapped the 3/4 Plywood one, and started on the mdf today. Its a lot easier to work with, but no where near as durable. Pictures to follow.

I have no idea. I would imagine it would need to be taller in the front, since there is no radio there. I am also unsure about AC, if it hangs under the dash, maybe it would work?

Yes, mine has a Hurst, and its not in the factory location. i would mold it with an uncut top piece so it would need future modification to fit any application.

Thats got me thinking... Rick, your not using factory seats in yours right? I wonder if all seats when tilted forward have roughly the same space between them.

Can any body get me a measurement of the space between front seats. Both at the tunnel (seatbelt) and with both of the seats tilted forward about shifter height, where an armrest would be.

"lethal289" said:
Thats got me thinking... Rick, your not using factory seats in yours right? I wonder if all seats when tilted forward have roughly the same space between them.

Can any body get me a measurement of the space between front seats. Both at the tunnel (seatbelt) and with both of the seats tilted forward about shifter height, where an armrest would be.

Mine are stock seat frames, they have TMI sport foams and covers.

Back