• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dave: I need my balloon to be popped

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
My ego is quite large right now. As you remember, we've been working on AZPete's alignment issues. There's a old guy (our age!) who runs a small shop here in town, and he does alignments on anything and everything...it's basically a one-man shop. He charges next to nothing, knows his stuff, and is quite competent. He also loves to talk with ya while he works.

Anyways, Pete told him after installing the roller spring perches that I have an alignment set-up. (BTW, I've been to his shop, and he knows who I am...) He sorta scoffed that we could actually do an alignment. He told Pete he needed longer bolts to accommodate a thicker stack of alignment shims. I bought a $45 caster/camber bubble gauge, nothing special, and built a toe gauge. Although I've used it to check alignments, I've never actually gone in and completed an alignment. It's not rocket science by any means, but it is tricky to get both the caster and camber correct simultaneously. I thought one could be done independent of the other, but that is not correct (I finally visualized how it works in 3D instead of my usual 2D perspective). Anyway, after four iterations, we nailed it! I mean we nailed it dead-nuts on. OK...we kinda messed up the toe, but at least it was set correctly with only a 120* offset of the steering wheel. Not bad, considering Pete rotated one side and I rotated the other side. Obviously, Pete didn't follow my verbal instructions perfectly. :rofl

Anyway, Pete goes back to the old man, and he just checks the alignment and only adjusts the toe. Normally, he tries to adjust things, and doesn't like others doing his work for him...which is why we didn't correct the steering wheel offset.

So...I've got a big head, knowing I nailed my first real steering alignment with a pair of plastic trash bags, a $45 tool and another tool I built in my garage. No more going to incompetent alignment shops for the vintage stuff. I'm on Cloud 9 right now.

Dave...do I deserve to be brought back down to reality, or should I stay up here, enjoying the weather?

do I deserve to be brought back down to reality, or should I stay up here, enjoying the weather?

Before you get too excited.... consider this: Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

If you could successfully repeat the results with consistant accuracy, I'd be inclined to build you a pedestal myself. Getting an alignment "dead nuts on" with nothing more than a "level" and a tape measure is impressive, congratulations!

I can bring my tools to MBB...if anyone wants to try my services!

I would be careful on what "tools" he brings. Of course, this job also requires Wattles.

Mid, you might need to bring the alignment tools to get people to walk straight. There's been plenty of times I felt my toes needed adjusting. BTW, good job on the alignment. Screw whether you were lucky or not.

"blue65coupe" said:
Mid, you might need to bring the alignment tools to get people to walk straight.

That might be the most intelligent observation on this forum yet!

BTW, nice job Mid! You da man. :pep

Back