• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

DEAD...this ain't good

That's one thing we're gonna do. I'm doubting this (not ruling out) considering the compression over 5 checks has registered a complete "0". That ring would have to be virtually gone. However, we're gonna do it anyway. I got everything apart last night down to the intake and heads. If I haven't mentioned it, this sucks.

So it's just the intake where you hear the air? No air out the exhaust or in the dipstick? If not, sounds like the intake valve is blow'd up.

Yep. I'll find out for sure in the morning. I never "heard" anything so I'm assuming/hoping it's just burnt. (Keeping fingers crossed)

Sounds like I should come over and fire up a fatty for you. Maybe the herbal gods would show a little remorse towards you.......

Seriously Duane,
I hope you don't have to pull the engine.

Bent intake valve on the #5 cylinder. Don't really know why one just decides to "hang up" but oh well. It just barely, and I mean barely, tapped the piston. I took a pic of the piston to post but this could've been a lot worse. So, new valve, seals, and gasket set is on order. Valve seat and everything else looks good. I think I found the reason for the oil on the plugs also. Evidently the gasket decided to move a smidgen when we were installing/torquing everything down which brings me to my next question. Why aren't the matching ports for the intake and heads the same size? It's pretty obvious there's a reason b/c I've looked at about 5 different head/intake combos for my car (did this today) and it seems that's just how it is. Why?

yeah, check the spring (as in a floating valve). One bent valve is kinda weird. How's the timing chain?

I'm taking the springs to have them checked. Timing should be good as it hadn't jumped any. I'm gonna pull all but 2 springs and take them and a head with the two left in it to have 'em all checked. Gotta be a reason.

Spring pressure is good. Unless I can find a problem with a lifter it seems to have been a fluke. Timing was spot on during checks. Went ahead and ordered a new water pump also. Why not...I've already rebuilt the carb.

"blue65coupe" said:
Spring pressure is good. Unless I can find a problem with a lifter it seems to have been a fluke. Timing was spot on during checks. Went ahead and ordered a new water pump also. Why not...I've already rebuilt the carb.

I'd take that bent valve in and have some metallurgical testing done, could happen to others and then you'd have to go through this again & again.

BTW, why'd you rebuild the carb when it obviously didn't need it???

"silverblueBP" said:
I'd take that bent valve in and have some metallurgical testing done, could happen to others and then you'd have to go through this again & again.

BTW, why'd you rebuild the carb when it obviously didn't need it???

Yeah, why not send it to NASA. Why not rebuild the carb? The car wasn't going anywhere and I had plenty of time. Whaddya think...some DA just told me too or something?

Back