• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Don't fight the intro

thebruce

Out to lunch
May as well get this out of the way now...

Hello to the 'fix crowd. I've been lurking about here frequently over the last few weeks because the wellspring of information over at the other "vintage" site seems to have become nearly inaccessible for all the ads.

I was given a 67 coupe by my in laws, as they weren't using it and it had been sitting in the weather for a few years. The original 6 cylinder had been swapped for a 289 2v from a 68 that had since been crushed (wish I had rescued that one for all the parts I find I need now).

The car has headers and a dual exhaust running through glass packs and sounds very nice as is, so no plans for exhaust alterations. The c4 transmission had also been rebuilt during the swap and despite being the tame 289 the motor doesn't leak, runs strong, and never stops unless I tell it to.

I drove it for a summer and found the steering and braking to be lackluster. Particularly in that I was never sure which ditch it was going to dive for when I hit the brakes. Made the drive exciting for sure, but not always desirable.

She has sat for a few years now, and I am currently renovating my shop so I can put the 'stang in for the winter and hopefully come out the other side of the dark months with a reasonable to drive and not too bad looking car.

Never really been a mustang guy (or Ford for that matter), but have always had a soft spot for the old notchbacks. Love the feel of the old stuff, can't get it in a new car. I have love for all the old stuff, the uncommon stuff, and some of the stuff everyone else hates out of spite.

Weather and family situation dictates having the AWD SUV and big ol' work truck. I'd rather be found in something old and RWD. Yes, air conditioning is good. Yes, GPS and back up cameras and park assist and traction control and launch control and bladder control and fricking Google cars are great for those of us who perhaps don't have the time or the sense of exhilaration that comes from running an automobile that doesn't do anything for you but drive.
/rant

This seems like a happening place, I'll be around...

Welcome aboard! We can surely help you spend money on brakes and steering parts that'll make the old cars drive like a race car.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Can't see turning it into a race car over winter, but it may see an autocross next year just to say I did. Hoping to be able to save for a csrp .4 power kit and roller perches from opentracker, and basic replacement upper and lower control arms and steering gear for this winter.

The front of the floors were rotten from the cowl leaking, and I have that mostly taken care of. I put a pertronix ignitor 3 in it a couple winters ago and just got my stealth intake yesterday. I have an old holley 4bbl made for motorcraft that I pulled off a 351 truck that was being crushed.

I will probably be pulling the motor to paint it and install the manifold, and to make the patches I need to weld in the front framerail easier. I'll do the Arning drop that I bought that 17/32" bit for years ago, and with any luck be bolting in new parts as I go.

I'll have to find some pictures of the old gal. She's not too rough for a fifty year old car, but needs some attention in a few places for sure.

Mmm. Cookies...

More thanks for the the abundant welcomes. Would love to visit Florida more than once as soon as I find the time, money and passport...

Going to try to post a few photos. Might not work...
20161019_170353.jpg 20161019_170418.jpg 20161019_170433.jpg 20161019_170458.jpg

Come on man...give that doggie a real house!

Oh, and that looks like a perfect start to a vintage race car...just say'n.

I live outside a tiny town (really, like blink and you missed it) called Rock Creek in British Columbia Canada. I like my elbow room.
Screenshot_20161020-061041.png
Probably one of the top 10 places in the province nobody knows. I go to the nearest large town (like with wal-mart and a decent machine shop) and people don't know where it is, and I'm good with that.

The Galaxie is mine too. I did a bunch of work to get it ready for my high school graduation fifteen years ago (just did the math). Drove it a couple summers and then the oil burning pig of a 390 shit out a ring coming home toward the end of a nice drive. Full James Bond cloud for about half an hour. Put it in the shop for the winter and it came out in the spring with a 429/c6 and the disc brakes and suspension all from a 71 Galaxie xl. Much better. She's currently on the waiting list for a substantial cash injection.

Back