• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Door window frame loose

spitse

I have a 65 mustang and the driver’s door metal frame is loose. The glass will retract into the door fine but the metal frame will slip off. How so you get it to stay on the glass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would try to use a double side tape , thickness is to determine cause I don't know how thick the glass is and the width of that frame.
Just clean it thoroughly and degrease the inside of the frame and top of the glass.
I would first stick it on the glass and then the frame beginning in the top corner.
Trial fit first is recommendable and set some markings along so you can orientate while putting on for real. ( sorry for my bad english explaination)
Let it sit for a couple of days while that double side tape has to "suck" into the material.
The rest could be trimmed with a sharp knife to have a clean finish.
I don't garantee it will work but that will be my first attemp.
If that doesn't hold , I would try window sealer/glue of todays cars. Can be a bit more messy but that will hold for sure !!
FWIW

You need glass setting tape. It comes in various thicknesses. FORD could have used a variety when putting your car together. Get a couple thicknesses to determine which fits best. You can find video and written instructions on how to set the window frame on the Web.

GLASS SETTING TAPE , ok got it !
like this :
https://www.bobdrake.com/glasssettingtape
That's the stuff. And it is very common to require more than one thickness to do even a single glass. That's why I suggest getting a few sizes and by trial and error figure out what to use. It should be difficult to force the trim on by blows with your palm. Really should require a rubber mallet to tap it on. The glass is tough and can take it.

Back