• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Drinking in the shop....

daveSanborn

Two months ago while rummaging through a shop parts bin/shelf, I accidentally bumped an old transmission crossmember off the shelf and on it's way down it produced an ugly 1" gouge into the rear fender paint of my sons motorcycle. I felt like crap as this was the first scratch on his new bike. I mixed up a touch-up amount and "sort-of" fixed the scratch/gouge. It's barely noticable, but both he and I now that it's there.

Fast forward to last Friday evening. I'm minding my own beeswax eating dinner. Son has been out in the shop screwing around with his bike and drinking his Corona's. He walks in the house and says "remember how bad you felt when you scratched my bikes fender? Well, we're even."

He was backing his bike up in the shop and the rear axle mounted license plate (it sticks out on the left side) gouged a nice scrape/ding into the lower portion of my drivers side front fender. About a 1.5 - 2 square inch area where the paint was scraped off down to bare metal and there is a slight indentation that's not visible, but can be felt.

F#@$ me!

I'd rather we weren't "even". Hopefully we'll both be a little more careful out in the shop and now there's one more thing to do this winter.... sand, prime, repair, paint and buff the damaged area.

There's no way in hell it'll be fixed by then. I might touch it up, but it won't be done right until the weather cools off.... think December/January. I might just affix a budweiser label over the area and call it good until I have more areas to touch up.

Oh, that sucks.

Like I told my kid, it'll be all right. I have plenty of primer, base and color..... heck, I probably have enough base leftover to re-shoot most of the car... close to 3 quarts.

It'll just have to wait until it cools off though.

I'll bet it looks about as bad as a plate of boiled peanuts.

Sorry Dave. Have you ever thought about disowning this "son" of yours?

Have you ever thought about disowning this "son" of yours?

Not a chance. I've way too much invested at this point to get any kind of return on my investment if I were to quit now.

It's really not that bad.... here's a couple pictures.... note that it's barely even visible when walking around the car. It's not as if the body on this car is 100% perfect to begin with. I'd put it in a good driver class.

005-24.jpg

It's only when you "get down low" that the area becomes noticable.

006-21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooooo, you gonna fix his bike first? FWIW Dave, my COUPE may not run right now....but....it ain't got no place like that on it!!!!

Serious though, that sucks dude.

that sucks, I was cruising down the highway a couple weeks ago and an SUV kicked up an aligator (blown truck recap tread). I was in the middle of three lanes with cars either side of me so all I could do was cringe when I hit it. I just pictured shattered fiberglass all over the road. I was lucky, I got away with a small amount of damage. It's a driver though so I expected it would get some road rash. It's on the lower nose so maybe after a few more dings and chips I'll get it repainted (the nose, not the car).

That sucks.

But that is why I am not going to get mine painted for a good while. My 8 year old twins and their friends are always in and out of the garage with their bikes, etc so I figure why bother. The few times they run up against the Stang it is something that will buff out, thank goodness for the rubber handgrips on their bikes. I'm keeping my 10 foot (ok probably 15 feet would be better) paint job for now till they get older and learn how to be more careful. That way I don't get upset if they run into it.

Grabber Orange UPGRADE!

Which is it? Grabber Orange? Or an UPGRADE?

It can't be both....

Actually, I probably will repaint the whole car one of these days. My "second choice" for paint schemes is the Blue/White combo seen in the below video link.

Shelby GT350SR

It was actually directed towards Craig.

And either way you slice it, grabber orange is always an upgrade :nice

Back