• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Driprail extension mouldings FB 67 or 68???

Johnny M

My drip rail extension mouldings are in bad shape. Whoever took them off the car obviously did not care about whoever is going to have to put them back on. They are all twisted and in bad shape.

I heard somewhere that you can use the shorter 68 ones instead that NPD now sell?? has anyone tried this swap and if so will it make any difference on the appearance? will it on leave a gap that will be noticeable while sitting in the car with the window down? :confu

http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/extension_moldings_roof_drip_rail_finish_repro-183600-0.html

I have no containers coming over any time soon so shipping the full length 67 ones here to Ireland will be a killer. And they are $100 cheaper than the full length 67 ones. :thu

I'm pretty sure you will see the A pillar without them... One of mine was bent up pretty good on the back edge.

I don't think the repros were available at the time so I got one that was damaged at the top from a forklift. I cut out the bad sections from each piece and essentially spliced the two pieces on the top rail ... out of view.

They are stainless steel, a good really good metalworker / polisher could probably restore what you have if they aren't all kinked up too bad.

yzugabuq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still a novice at it... but I think that can be fixed. A skilled craftman shouldn't have a problem with it. The nice thing about stainless is that even if you ding a high spot into it with the trim hammer you can file and sand it smooth. After that a polish with the right compounds will bring it right back. I'd venture to say even a novice with patience could bring that piece back to at least a decent to very good looking piece. I think I would look at fixing that first. If you try it yourself, don't rush it and don't be aggressive...

I kind of agree that it would be worth an attempt in fixing, if it can't be found. Is the damage towards the rear?

"cmayna" said:
I kind of agree that it would be worth an attempt in fixing, if it can't be found. Is the damage towards the rear?

The pic is the worst of the damage and it is toward the rear where the window curves down.

I thought about doing that but I am struggling to find someone that still does this sort of work....In this "dispose and replace" age these skills are becoming harder to come by.

I know an old iron worker not too far from me and i will call to him this week. He mostly does heavy iron work like gates/hinges, etc but he might know someone that does more delicate work.

I would prefer not to replace them but i will see if the repair is possible first.

I'll keep you updated.

Around here "paintless dent repair" guys go to dealerships to remove door dings and such from used cars. They do some pretty remarkable work using light pressure to work the dent out - no hammer and dollies. I wonder if this is something they could handle.

There are skilled persons out there for sure. I found a company in Chicago, for example, that does this kind of work. Found them by searching out experts in really old classic car restoration. Their niche is trim restoration. They quoted me around $800-1,000 to make the 4 front window trim pieces perfect. I elected to buy myself a new buffer and assorted accessories for about a quarter of that and do it myself!

With a little patience and the right tools it's like any other task. You can get really good results.

"cmayna" said:
If you lived a little closer to me, I'd repair them for ya.

"If" being the killer in that sentence.

I have started asking around and i have some leads already.

Watch this space.

"Horseplay" said:
There are skilled persons out there for sure. I found a company in Chicago, for example, that does this kind of work. Found them by searching out experts in really old classic car restoration. Their niche is trim restoration. They quoted me around $800-1,000 to make the 4 front window trim pieces perfect. I elected to buy myself a new buffer and assorted accessories for about a quarter of that and do it myself!

With a little patience and the right tools it's like any other task. You can get really good results.

I might end up doing that if i cant find someone to do it at the right price.

Its a skill i would like to learn but time is really stacked against me to get this car on the road for June.

"Johnny M" said:
I might end up doing that if i cant find someone to do it at the right price.

Its a skill i would like to learn but time is really stacked against me to get this car on the road for June.

Don't let the extension molding keep the car off the road. I have spent the last 18 months looking for a decent set for the 65. They are not reproduced as of yet so I need a good used set. Most people don't even know they are missing!

"mustangstofear" said:
As long as your underside of the roof rail is painted you can use the 68. We use the ones from Dynacorn and they fit perfect.

Hello Rich, Have you any pics of them installed?

"kb3" said:
Don't let the extension molding keep the car off the road. I have spent the last 18 months looking for a decent set for the 65. They are not reproduced as of yet so I need a good used set. Most people don't even know they are missing!

Ha.......I'll be sitting on a milk crate with skiing goggle on so door trim wont bother me.

And i found an old school coach works that specialize in building hearses :skul.....Looks like they will be able to repair them for me.

If i get the drip rail extensions repaired then i am only missing my drivers side weaterhstrip channel. Hopefully i can find one on this side of the Atlantic.

Johnny, Let me know if you cannot find the LH weather stripping channel. I know of someone who has one but he doesn't remember if infact it is the LH or RH side. Hope you do find it for the postage of another one = ouch!

"cmayna" said:
Johnny, Let me know if you cannot find the LH weather stripping channel. I know of someone who has one but he doesn't remember if infact it is the LH or RH side. Hope you do find it for the postage of another one = ouch!

Thanks Craig.

I think i may have scored some OEM ones. I contacted a Vintage Mustang worksop in Scotland and the owner is restoring a 67 FB. He plans to replace all trim with new reproduction items so he is happy to offload his old ones to me. He said they are in "good" and all they need is a polish.

And my current bent ones are currently with the coach builders i mentioned above. He said there is a good chance that the worst Drip rail extension will crack when he straightens it but i would rather try.

Back