• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Eastwood ceramic engine paint - anyone used it?

apollard

They claim it's highly chemical and chip resistant, and can be catalyzed (which appeals to me for durability). Found only a couple of links about it on a google search, most saying it works well, a few complaints about color. Anybody here used it?

Eastwood's "Ford Dark Blue" Ceramic Engine Paint withstands up to 650 degreesF

Super-durable, high-temp engine paint utilizes ceramic nano-technology to produce a beautiful, factory-look finish that protects your engine and resists chips, chemicals and heat.

Withstands up to 650 degreesF (highest in the industry!)
Easy to apply - brush or spray
1-quart can covers approx. 40 square feet
For additional durability and gloss, add Urethane Activator

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-ceramic-engi ... dk-bl.html

I used it on my wife's engine. When the radiator puked all over everything, the antifreeze spotted the paint.

Not Eastwood's but others. I didn't notice them being any better that the rattle can high temp enamel sprays. I can only guess the ceramic is nothing more than ground up "stuff" and will not bond together unless heated to its melting point. I always liked using a catalyzed paint as it seems to be the most resistant and durable. A small HVLP is very handy for this kind of work.

I used the Bill Hirsch Ford Red engine enamal and had similar issues with a couple of small antifreeze leaks causing stains. Also had some antifreeze puddle up in the top left valley on the top of the timing cover that lifted the paint after a while. Other than that it still looks good, much better shine than the rattle can paint IMO...

You know, I was wondering about using regular auto paint, since it has to stand up to some punishing temps & conditions. Lots of respected guys use it, and over on the boat forum I frequent, thats about all they use - and those engines are some serious eye candy. Thinking I'll go that way, just gotta find one close to Ford Blue. Heck, I'd think the right silver with a flattened clear coat would be a good aluminum look also.

PPG code 13358. Ford Blue.

i paid something like $26 for a quart of color.

IMG_1396.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i've used the por-15 engine paint a couple times with really good results. it's a heavy paint that covers well over rough cast parts & lasted really well.

back in the "old days" acrylic enamel was the ticket for engine paint. in fact, the 350 in my old chev truck was painted with acrylic enamel (body color) & is still holding up well.

That's Ditzler 13558. PPG DAR 13898 is what I used, and it was recommended by Bob Perkins. Spot on for Ford Dark Blue!

"cmayna" said:
THAT is far from being Ford dark blue.

"Midlife" said:
That's Ditzler 13558. PPG DAR 13898 is what I used, and it was recommended by Bob Perkins. Spot on for Ford Dark Blue!

i'm not sure if you two are referencing my post or not. I'm doing a 69 so maybe there were darker blues for the engines after that you are referencing? I thought Ford Corporate Blue was the blue they were using for years (not the earlier lighter blue engines).

Read this particular article from Mustang Monthly written by Bob Perkins.

here is one statement you'll find:

"The engine is painted Ford Corporate Blue. I use Ditzler DAR 13358 for maximum durability and color."

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/tipstricks/mump_0407_1969_mustang_mach_1_1969_mustang_boss_429/viewall.html

here is a comparison with a favorite (plastikote 224) of the rattle can experts with the above mentioned ppg 13358.

IMG_5675.jpg

this is the code on my paint

IMG_2575.jpg

can you two tell me where i'm in error? i certainly don't want to propagate wrong information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditzler is no longer in business, being bought out by PPG, IIRC. Your quote may be in error as printed as there is no such thing as Ditzler DAR. DAR is a product line, also under PPG, but doesn't use the Ditzler numbering system.

"Midlife" said:
Ditzler is no longer in business, being bought out by PPG, IIRC. Your quote may be in error as printed as there is no such thing as Ditzler DAR. DAR is a product line, also under PPG, but doesn't use the Ditzler numbering system.

ditzler/deltron whatever. 13358 is a legitimate PPG code. what am i missing?

"apollard" said:
ANybody know a code that's a good match for Ford Dark Blue?

besides my suggestion (which apparently is flawed), i would recommend searching some of the other forums for recommendations.

I always thought there was ford blue, and ford dark blue!

"buckeyedemon" said:
besides my suggestion (which apparently is flawed), i would recommend searching some of the other forums for recommendations.

You went the same route as me which i thought was the lighter of the two colors.

Thanks guys. Other forums include the same codes and somewhat confusing info. However, I'll take those codes to the paint shop and pick the chip that matches what I want the best.

"lethal289" said:
You went the same route as me which i thought was the lighter of the two colors.

ok, since you went the same route as me (i.e. 13358), maybe the problem is i don't understand what "blue" and "dark blue" is.

Can you define what years ford used "blue" and what years ford used "dark blue"?

your response makes me believe you did some comparisons. do you have side by side comparisons of the paint you used versus what you consider light and dark (with part numbers)?

if you don't have either of the above, do you have a picture of your final product? and i understand it's difficult to get a good color representation with lighting.

and lastly, what was type code for the paint used for your 13358 color code (i.e DCC, DAR, JAU, JAE, etc, a picture of the paint code sticker would be preferred) and what did you spray as a base (black epoxy, gray epoxy, gray primer, direct to metal, etc)?

"Midlife" said:

midlife,

could you help me understand a few things?

in the following thread you indicate Charles Turner gave you the 13898 paint code. yet you mentioned in this thread that Bob Perkins gave you the 13898 code?

http://www.stangfix.com/testforum2/index.php/topic,2649.0.html

Also in the following thread you indicate Charles Turner recommended a special recipe (you never indicated the recipe which seems to be a waste). Further down in the thread a guest mentions (i'm about 95% certain that's Charles Turner) the codes came from Bob Perkins out of a Mustang Monthly article. I've linked one particular Mustang Monthly article previously where he mentions the 13358 code and i'm pretty sure he's mentioned 13358 in other mustang monthly articles. Any insight here?

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/523641-66-68-engine-color-part-ii.html

Also for reference, on the Concours Mustang site, Perkins, Turner and Speegle never mention the 13898 code for blue but there is talk of 13358 (Perkins even states 13358 is the original Ford Corporate Blue formula). I would have thought one of them would have chimed in with the perfect spot on match 13898 code you mention.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/http://localhost/stangfixp/viewtopic.php?t=8

You do mention a paint code in the following thread which was 133898. I'm pretty sure this is a typo. Do you have the original can of paint you used showing the paint code?

I'm just trying to get the facts straight as it's been implied here that the 13358 paint i used is not a good paint color.

Back