• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Electric fan question

68EFIvert

When I put the blower on I purchased a fan from fleabay (I know first mistake) because I needed one that was 3.25" or thinner. I found one and it was a good price. Well it seemed to work just fine when I tested it. I am now having heating problems when I am not moving. Once I start going it never goes over 210 degrees. When I got back from driving it today I pulled in the garage and turned the engine off. I then turned the key on and felt by the fan. There is a small amount of air coming through but not enough to make my hair blow if I bend over and look down by the radiator. How much air should be flowing. Is it really noticable when the fan works correctly?

what's the cfm rating? I haven't tried sticking my head in the engine bay to dry my hair :nice but I don't think mine would blow hair either and it's rated at 2500 cfm. I too had issues when sitting in traffic at the 45th. I recently changed the antifreeze to 25/75 instead of 50/50 and added WaterWetter and also changed the cap from 13 to 16 psi. I let the car sit in the driveway for over a half hour in 87 degrees and the temp gauge didn't climb like before. I don't know if this is helpful to ya or not... :crazy

I am not sure of the cfm but think it was supposed to be 1800-2100. All I know is it sounds different than when I installed it and doesn't seem to pull as much air as I think it should. I live by Portland, OR and I just got back from the Hoffman Group who markets Zirgo fans along with other brands like Autoloc, Protocol, Heliz, Keep it clean and others. I picked up a 3000 cfm fan and some stuff called Ultra Cool. I'll put it on tonight and see how it goes. I really think it will solve the problem. If it doesn't I will change the coolant to 75% H2O and 25% AF then put in the Ultra Cool. I want to see if the fan works before I put in the additive.

I got the fan on and started the car in the garage. It took about 5 minutes of idling for it to come on and once it did the temp did not rise anymore. I could tell right away it was the fan. The breeze coming from the engine was very easy to detect from feet away. The old fan is toast. Anybody looking for a crappy fan for target practice. I am glad I noticed it before I screwed up the engine. Ebay S&*T!

Back