• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

electric fuel pump not working

tried getting the fuel pump wired and working this weekend, got the fuel line mounted no leaks or issues. Got gas into the line and to the pump but when I tried just testing the pump (touched the wire to positive of battery) to see if it would pump gas nothing happened. Its a KEM pump (PO) and it only has one wire coming out the bottom of the pump, I figured this to be power and that the fuel pump was probaly self grounding once i mounted it to the car. I tried looking up KEM pumps but didnt find any technical info or wiring. Any suggestions? It seems the pump is no good and that ill just have to buy a Holley or something.

I would try hotwiring it directly to the battery + and giving it a good temporary ground. Bad grounds are the cause of a lot of electrical problems.

If you need a new pump, I'd look at the cheap pre-regulated Carter/Airtex from AutoZone, it's about $60 and seems quiet. Holleys are LOUD, expens$ive and usually require an external regulator. The newer gearotor pumps are quieter if you want something in the same price range as a Holley pump.

I had a Holley pump a long time ago. It was loud, I did need an external regulator and it didn't like daily driver duty as it would get hot sometimes and quit. Very inconveinent!

Back