• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Electric fuel pump recommendations

Kats66Pny

Has to be quiet and not sound like a train like my holley.

Budget friendly.

Would prefer to be able to buy it from local stores in town. (Napa, O'Reilly's, Autozone, Advanced Auto, Car Quest)

If it matters I have a Holley 700 DP carb.

Kat:

I haven't been following your build so forgive me if this has already been addressed: I suggest that an electric pump on a street driven naturally aspirated engine is overkill and will be less reliable than a traditional mechanical pump. Further a 700 cfm on a small block Ford is probably more carb than your engine needs.

I have not found an electric pump that was not noisy.

It may be overkill. But, I use a Edelbrock pump on my little 6 cyl. :thu

I would put a Holley mechanical fuel pump on it and be good. It would work just finr with your 700 DP...As for carb size, I have always felt a little more is better than a little less.

I ran an 850 DP on a 289 that was way built in 1981. Ran great...when I listened to friends that said put a 600 on it, you have too much carb, it ran like crap and would even idle. I put the 850 back on without changing anything back like timing, and it ran great. I changed the timing back and it ran awesome.

It really depends what is inside your engine. I do agree with ditching the electric fuel pump unless you are going to race it.

Mel

How complicated is it to switch over from electric to mechanical?

As for racing...not all the time. Just the trip to the track with the car club. :thu

Not hard provided there is a cam eccentric under the timing cover for the arm of the mechanical fuel pump to ride on. IF there isn't one, you need to strip the front of the motor down to the timing chain. Heres a pic:

during.jpg

That little disk in the center of the big drive pulley is what drives a mechanical fuel pump. See how the bolt is located off center? It wobbles to push the arm of the fuel pump back and forth.

Your car should have a block off plate where the fuel pump would go on the timing cover. Its held on by two bolts. Once removed you may be able to feel if its in there or not.

Depends on which timing cover you have. If its just a block plate pull it off and see if the eccentric is there. If you have a late model cover it wont even have a fuel pump mount.

Kat I thought we've already chatted about this in a previous post of yours which I highly recommended go mechanical. Even if the eccentric wasn't there still, I'd still remove the timing cover and install one. Drive it over here and I'll install one for you.

Butt for now, do you have a small plate covering the original mechanical pump hole? If so, remove it and stick your finger in there feeling for Ms. Eccentric.

"cmayna" said:
Butt for now, do you have a small plate covering the original mechanical pump hole?

Where in the heck would that be located? LOL

I think I have a late model timing cover. :shrug
IMG_4671.jpg

It looks like you may have to take the timing cover off and replace it.

OK, sounds like lots of work, but in reality it isn't.

In 1980 when I knew very little about anything mechanical, I had to remove the timing cover on a 289 to put new timing chain and gears in. There was no Internet for me to ask how to do it from....You start by removing the radiator, then fan, water pump and then the cover. Takes about 1/2 hour if you are slow. then you add the eccentric new gasket, new timing cover, fuel pump, fuel lines, water pump and gasket, fan and radiator back on/in....Hook the hoses up and fill with antifreeze.

Bam you are done in a couple hours if you know nothing about it.

Should be well worth it in the long run.

Yes it would have been easier to do it with the engine out, but since it is back in, just bite the bullet and have a couple hours of fun in your garage. This will also give you a chance to check out the inside of the front of your engine.

Stop being a girl about it! :guns You can do this it is easy! :thu

Mel :yah :yah :yah

"guruatbol" said:
Stop being a girl about it! :guns You can do this it is easy! :thu

LOL It's more of I just got it all back together and on the road and don't want to risk messing something up and not being able to drive her for another 6 months!

"Kats66Pny" said:
LOL It's more of I just got it all back together and on the road and don't want to risk messing something up and not being able to drive her for another 6 months!

OK, you really have nothing to worry about.

The micro electric fuel pump is more like a band-aide for a street car.

Maybe mount the one you have back by the tank with some sort of isolation from the frame to keep down the traveling of the noise through the car.

A mechanical pump for your application is really the way to go. It really is an easy fix once you have all the parts sitting there.

Mel

Hi Kat, I am using the fuel pump for a 1990 or so Ford truck. They had 2 fuel pumps. One in the tank (don't need that one) and one that mounted on the frame rail (that's the one). They used 2 pumps because one lifted the fuel out of the tank and the other one (frame rail mount) pushed it to the intake (efi). I got mine at Advance Auto store and it is fairly quiet. I can't hear it with the engine running. Easily replaced if it were to break on the road and lifetime warranty. I have the line coming out of the fuel sender where it would normally come off and the return line into the drain plug on the bottom of the fuel tank. I also have a fuel regulator in the line going to the intake (that's where the return line goes back to the tank). Hope this helps a little.

Kat, if you decide to go the mechanical route, I have a used 65-67 timing cover I bought off someone here (Mark?) that I ended up not using. Let me know if you need it:)

Back