• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Engine Failure found. Pics of carnage.

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
The engine will be coming out shortly for an over-haul now.

When I pulled out the fuel pump, this is what I found lying in the fuel pump arm hole on the side of the T.C. cover:
26_20_06_09_1_34_33_0.JPG

The snap ring that is broken must be what failed, letting the idler gear seperate. Just my hunch...

Nice filings in there as well:
26_20_06_09_1_34_34_3.JPG

After I pulled the balancer and popped off the T.C. cover, this is what was behind:

26_20_06_09_1_34_34_4.JPG

26_20_06_09_1_35_23_0.JPG

26_20_06_09_1_35_23_1.JPG

26_20_06_09_1_35_23_2.JPG

26_20_06_09_1_35_23_3.JPG

26_20_06_09_1_35_24_4.JPG

26_20_06_09_1_36_06_0.JPG

26_20_06_09_1_36_06_1.JPG

26_20_06_09_1_36_06_2.JPG

26_20_06_09_1_36_07_3.JPG

Did some damage to the inside of the T.C. cover as well:

26_20_06_09_1_34_33_1.JPG

you can see where the idler gear was riding. The circular damage above was there previous from the P.O. having the wrong fuel pump eccentric installed and grinding on the cover.

26_20_06_09_1_34_34_2.JPG

metal filings everywhere...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm..........that's what I was thinkin. Double roller chain lookin' better now?

I'd clean it up with brake cleaner, sling a chain on it and cross my fingers.

I'm sure there will be many opinions on this. If its broke anywhere else it'll still be broke after the chain.

that just plain sucks j. :cry Hopefully the damage stays concentrated inside the timing cover and oil pan. I would sure go with a double roller now and i think im with sluggo, through a chain on and cross your fingers. just try to flush the pan out. Good luck and keep us posted!

Damn that looks nasty, like everyone else, throw a dbl roller on it and check out the valve train.

That Monster musta been real hungry.

Hey nice quality pics. But wish they were of some hot babes instead of a broken Mustang. Sluggo might have an idea to consider.

"Sluggo" said:
Hmmmm..........that's what I was thinkin. Double roller chain lookin' better now?

I'd clean it up with brake cleaner, sling a chain on it and cross my fingers.

I'm sure there will be many opinions on this. If its broke anywhere else it'll still be broke after the chain.

AzPete and I were speculating on what had happened, and we agreed that a couple of gear teeth probably broke somehow. We also thought that a single or double-roller chain gear set is appropriate. Even worse, we agree with Sluggo that putting on the chain and run it rather than tear the entire engine down. If particles made it inside, no worse damage will occur with running the engine a bit; if you're lucky, no grit got anywhere inside and you'll be good to go.

"Sluggo" said:
He texted me a while ago. He's tearing it down.
Damn. Well, at least he won't be texting me regarding wiring issues for a while. :zip

"Sluggo" said:
I don't think he's been on since the post.
I'd be pretty bummed, and probably want to tear it down too (many say I'm a perfectionist)... anyway it sucks when a big dollar part like the gear drive fails and potentially trashes the rest of the engine. I destroyed a trans due to a B&M high stall converter failure once. Destroyed!
Anyway, I hope his engine is okay.

Man that really sucks Jeremy. IMO get rid of that gear drive. They are not needed. First of all I hate the noise they make plus they rob horsepower. You will get the people that say they keep the cam better timed but as those gears wear and yes they will wear your cam timing is still off. I read Sluggo's post that your tearing it down. I wouldn't. Get it up on an engine stand and drop the main caps and check them for metal passing threw the engine. If you don't see any damage just flush the engine down and put it back together and try it. Just my opinion.

I'm with mod9. Get rid of the gear drive (they where cool before double roller timing chains) and pull a main cap and a rod cap or 2. If the shavings went through the engine, you'll find them imbedded in the main/rod bearings. There's no need to even pull the engine to do this, though.

When my distributor gear grenaded on me, that's what I did .. pulled 2 main caps and a rod cap. Bearings all looked perfect so I buttoned it back up and went racing. :danc

Back