• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Engine installed pics

Be sure and check the thermostat in hot water before you install. I have found many defective new ones this way!

BTW: that a purdy engine!

The only thing that comes to mind other than what's already been mentioned is too tight tolerances in the bearings.

Just throwing that out there.

OMG, I hope he would have checked the stat first. I was going to suggest an aluminum radiator but looks like we're trying to keep the engine bay as stock looking as possible.

Something has changed since it last ran that is causing this. Read your plugs, check your oil for coolant, check your lower radiator hose, double check your carb settings with a vacuum gauge, double check your initial timing and advance, maybe try another temp gauge. Mark mentioned tolerances, did you change rings too? Does it diesel when you shut it down hot? I just cannot imagine it being a fan problem if you are running the same fan as before and a huge shop fan. Troubleshooting sucks.

Looks sweet, man!
I have no input on the cooling issue that others with way more knowledge haven't already said.

"chillininnh" said:
Looks great. Where did you get those valve covers? They are shweeet.
Tony Branda VC24 tall cobra covers. Had to paint the black.

Solved problem with 195 tstat.

Bummer, I do not have facebook. Glad you got it fixed.

Let me know next time your in town, it time for a Hooter Wings night.

"janschutz" said:
Bummer, I do not have facebook. Glad you got it fixed.

Let me know next time your in town, it time for a Hooter Wings night.

You should be able to see it.

Excessive heat can be many things of course. Fresh motors can run a tad hotter but they will settle down once you run them. I would check timing as mentioned here earlier. I would question the radiator and its core.... is it orignal to the car? Did you send the radiator out to a reputable shop to have them boil it / clean it... they check the condition of your core. Is the radiator adequate considering your engine build? All the other stuff (fans, electric or mechanical... shroud etc are helpful but you need to have a good baseline to start with.) The 195 thermostat is a good idea for a new motor in my opinion.

Last but not least once you've got it all under control I highly recommend DEI's Water Wetter product and either Radiator Relief from the same company or go with a good racing type coolant. You'll be surprised with the results!

The cooling issue is definitely solved.

I put in the 195 t-stat, jacked the rear of the car up to level the engine, popped the heater hose off the intake, dumped water in with the diluted coolant until I had coolant come out the heater nipple, then filled the radiator.

Ran the car for 20 minutes and watched the t-stat open and close several times, usually only for a brief time.

I finished putting the front end back on it this evening and took it for a short spin around the dealership. The gauge inside car got about 3/4 of the way to hot before the t-stat opened. As soon as that occurred the gauge came down just above center. I checked at the radiator and it was about 175 at the cap.

In order to get to 33 degrees total advance, the base timing is right near zero. Throttle response is instant and crisp. This Voodoo cam is a split duration 268/276. I thought I would dislike it compared to the 292/292 that was in it before, but I think this cam was a perfect choice.

glad you got it sorted out, now I need to get down there and see if I get get a ride in the TwistedBossMach!

Back