• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

English - my rant

"BobV" said:
WILLIN TO TRADE JUST LET ME KNO WUT U GOT [/i]

I've got an old English textbook from school. Wonder if he'd be interested in a trade???

Dang. And I always thought that I had bad speaking and writing skill. But those guys put me to shame.

It all starts with a "prolly" and goes downhill from there. :lol

Seriously, whether consciously or not, we are all judged by the way we speak and write. This post is proof of such. Typos, misspellings and the occasional improper use of a "their" or "they're" is one thing but this example is quite another. It is also representative of a growing percentage of our populace.

I manage a large, very diverse group of people at work. In our business, we spend our days in direct contact with the general public both in person and through the written word. I find myself constantly editing my staff's writing and correcting gross misuse of the English language. These are college educated, adult professionals making what I consider elementary level mistakes. Frustrating does not begin to describe how it feels.

In my opinion, it is not only the fault of the person who errors but also any around them who do not try and point out the mistake. If no one tells them it is wrong how are they to learn? Of course, doing so can get you labeled a "grammer nazi" or worse. Such is the risk you take trying to help your fellow man...

One more thing...it is M-O-O-T, not M-U-T-E...as in, "it's a moot point". I've got a salesman in GA that despite nearly a decade of correction may never get that one down. :po

I hait incontinent employees. Its not like wi need rocket sturgeons to make kabinets and doars.

"Horseplay" said:
Of course, doing so can get you labeled a "grammer nazi" or worse.

Yep, you could be called BobV..... :lol :lol :lol

Found this on line...
OMG_WTF_LOL_139.jpg

"Horseplay" said:
In my opinion, it is not only the fault of the person who errors but also any around them who do not try and point out the mistake. If no one tells them it is wrong how are they to learn?

errs, not errors.

"try to", not "try and".

Just tryin' to be helpful. :beat

Oh, and that moot/mute bugs the hell out of me, too.

Frank

Wow, glad she wasn't seriously injured. That is one hell of a wreck.

As for ole wondernuts there, total douchebag. Couldn't get a good many of the posts since they were removed, but I got the idea.

First of all, obviously I'm glad the young lady that was in the wreck came out of it OK. That's the main thing.

Back to the original topic: My biggest Spelling Nazi pet peeve these days is when people use 'then' when they really mean 'than'. No offense to anyone personally. But come on, man.

I could not read the monolithic quote in the original post. My eyes just kind of glazed over & I skipped it :eek:

I have to credit this place and the grammar nazis that reside here for making me go back and re-educate myself on then and than. Even my wife had no luck with it.

So hears too u GN's :bird Don't think I'll fix all my mistakes though.

Back