• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Epoxy primer question

rotted66

I just picked up a 66 and it was media blasted and primed,their is surface rust coming thru in some areas, I'm wondering if I have to strip the entire car back down to bare metal or sand with 80 grit and spray epoxy over it???? Omni brand

If you have rust coming through from under the primer I would strongly suggest taking it back down to metal. You have no idea what lies underneath otherwise. You're asking for some pretty quick problems if you just sand off what you see and cover it all in primer.

"Horseplay" said:
If you have rust coming through from under the primer I would strongly suggest taking it back down to metal. You have no idea what lies underneath otherwise. You're asking for some pretty quick problems if you just sand off what you see and cover it all in primer.

:wstu

Makes one wonder about the quality of the primer they used originally. It probably was not epoxy primer; if so, shame on them.

"Midlife" said:
Makes one wonder about the quality of the primer they used originally. It probably was not epoxy primer; if so, shame on them.
Hopefully, it's not (and I'd bet quite a bit it isn't). Be a heck of a lot harder to sand an epoxy off.

Regular primer, if allowed to get and remain wet will allow the water to get through and result in...you guessed it. Rust.

its not expoxy, i dont even think its 2K i'm just gonna due what i expected and take the car down to bare metal, at least i wont have layers of old ass paint to strip.

"rotted66" said:
its not expoxy, i dont even think its 2K i'm just gonna due what i expected and take the car down to bare metal, at least i wont have layers of old ass paint to strip.

Smart move!

Back