• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fender Rolling

joesgt281

Swapped the 275s out for some 315s on Unreel.
They look awesome, but will be the victim of fender lip rub if i'm not careful.
What's the best way to do fender lip rolling?
I know there's a tool you can bolt to your axle but that's going to be hard to source.
Discuss.

lots of places rent the tool a body shop should be able to do it. i know some people just cut the lip off to

If you have the patience and the tools, a hammer and dolly will do wonders on the rear fenders.

There is also the tried and true wooden bat method. If you make a series of cuts in the lip and then hammer (gently) them flat it will actually make the panel stronger in that area as opposed to triming them off which will weaken the area.

the slotting would definetly make it alot easier to bend them up.
and i agree, i would definetly not trim the lip.

This is what mine look like after they were cut and laid flat.

2_03_12_08_7_28_11_4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
now THAT's what i'm talkin bout.
good to know it can be taken that far.
and you went with the hammer method?
was that prior to paint?

The body shop used a hammer, it was hammered just about flat and I believe its tacked its really pretty damn smooth. Yes, it was all done before paint.

With the lips cut and rolled/folded that much.... is there any rigidity left to the side of the quarter panels fender flare?

Oh yeah. I'll see if I can dig up the picture I have at home from when it was onthe rotissorie showing how it was done. He said it actually makes it stronger, I'm no engineer, so I can't tell for sure. They definetly are not weaker like you would see on a plastic panel with no lip. He did the fronts the same way.

yeah post up some pics.
i did go ahead and buy the cheapo Harbor Freight roller.
we'll see how it goes.
took the car out last nite and just jacked it up a bit with the air shocks.
man i LOVE those 315s.
the 67+ cars really need a big tire back there to balance out their larger scale.

OK, I meant to look for them last night and totally forgot. Here is a before picture I had on my laptop

2_20_03_09_6_35_24_0.JPG

I pulled this one off my cardomain site, I'll post up a better one later when I get home. I'll snap a few more tonight as well. You can kinda see where it starts about at about the 10 o'clock position in the pic.

2_20_03_09_6_47_34_0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He said it actually makes it stronger, I'm no engineer, so I can't tell for sure.

Well..... I'm not a school trained bona-fide engineer, but I occasionally work in that capacity. There's no way in hell that it is stronger.

A standard sheet of 8.5 x 11" paper will fold easily. Fold it in half back onto itself and even "doubled up" it will still fold rather easily. Undo the fold so that the piece of paper resembles an "L" shape and then try bending the paper along the "L's" crease..... even a thin piece of paper will resist the bending forces.

It's why Dexion (for do it yourself shelving) is sold in lengths of "L" angle.... it's why "L" channel steel exists.

The "L" resists bending forces when pressure is applied to either side of the "L's" length.

Now, on your rear quarter panel it really doesn't matter unless some bozo starts pressing in on the side of the flare.....

"Mustang Mike" said:
Joe, we definitely need pics. I purchased a Eastwood Fender lip roller. Here is a tech article I wrote on another site. If I lived near you we would be rolling your fender lips today.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/body-paint-articles/481265-rolling-fender-lips-tire-clearance.html

Great article Mike.
It definetly looks like slicing the rear lip would be critical.
It'll be a few days for the tool to arrive, but I'll be getting on the job as soon as it gets here and post some pics.

Back