1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

FINALLY found it

Discussion in 'Non Mustang General Discussion' started by Horseplay, Apr 2, 2018.

1. blu67

blu67 Well-Known Member

You need a drawing done so we can see what it's really going to look like........:rolleyes:

I know a guy.

tarafied1, msell66 and RapidRabbit like this.
  2. Horseplay

Horseplay Well-Known Member

No doubt. Just have to get things straight enough in my head on where I'm going with it so I can let you know what to draw. You did the one of my car LONG before it got going and If you didn't know what to really look at it ended up almost dead on the rendering. You'll get the call just as soon as I figure it all out.

Grabber70Mach and blu67 like this.
  3. blu67

blu67 Well-Known Member

I’m here when you’re ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Grabber70Mach

Grabber70Mach Well-Known Member

Bet he doesn't get that offer much.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

5. Horseplay

Spring is trying to arrive here and I am back in the garage. In between finishing up a few items on the car I also started the process of converting the truck over to 12v so I could fire it up. Didn't see the sense in getting a 6v battery only to have to buy a 12v soon so dove into the electrical changes. Not much is really needed to be honest. Have to change out the starter solenoid, horn relay, coil and some stuff under the dash (wiper motor, radio). The big thing I wanted to do my way was convert the stock gauge cluster to operate on 12v with the stock instruments. I could have used the same voltage reg as on the mustang cluster but wanted something a bit more refined. I bought some electronic regulators and heat sinks and made the switch. For about the same price as the mustang's crude device mission accomplished. Also swapped out the points set-up for a new Pertronix system.

gauge.jpg voltage reg.jpg shrink1.jpg shrink2.jpg heat sink.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Grabber70Mach likes this.
  6. Horseplay

7. Mach1 Driver

Mach1 Driver Active Member

Nice! One 6v 1.5A regulator for each gauge, and bye bye points.

8. Horseplay

Anyone have experience with Ford AOD transmissions? Really leaning toward making the truck more of a long road cruiser type with some creature comforts like auto and air. I know about the TV cable stuff. Wanting to know how it handles power/torque. Can it live behind say 350/300 on the street or will it need modified?

9. JD08

JD08 Member

The stock fox body era 5.0 had 300 lb ft of torque. I have a 90 (still stock) and it feels better with a shift kit. I might put a cooler on in the future as cheap insurance though.

10. RapidRabbit

RapidRabbit Well-Known Member

I put the AOD in my mustang, but I'm not running more than 250 ponies.

I know a lot of people running Foxes with higher horsepower.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

11. Horseplay

Thanks guys. I'll go ahead with the plan to swap in a stock AOD for now.

12. Grabber70Mach

Grabber70Mach Well-Known Member

13. Horseplay

I spoke with Dan @silverfoxtrans.com and he gave me some guidance. Can't say enough good about him. Didn't try to sell me just told me what way to go. For my need suggested a '98 or newer stock AOD out of a truck coupled with a V6 converter (looser than V8). Said I wouldn't break it (good for much more than I will be pushing). Got a line on one now I will be checking out.

Grabber70Mach likes this.
  14. 3175375

3175375 Well-Known Member

15. 3175375

Good work!

16. blu67

blu67 Well-Known Member

Sounds good!

17. tarafied1

tarafied1 Well-Known Member

Larry G has one in his 70 Mach 1 behind a healthy 351C and while he doesn't abuse it I think the 351 is probably a good test. His came from a V6 and he has done several power tours with it and seems to be pretty happy.

18. 3175375

Chris, I will be contacting you soon to get a drawing of ‘Doug’, ‘Farty’, ‘Tigger’ and ‘Shamu’ in my monster shop.

19. blu67

blu67 Well-Known Member

Nice!.....I think those are cars......

20. tarafied1

tarafied1 Well-Known Member

We hope so too