• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Finally found the reason for the starter dragging.

janschutz

Corn Hauler
After I have driven my dark blue coupe, the starter would slowly turn but it would always start the 351W. I had replaced the starter (twice), solenoid, and thought I had checked all the connections.

Turns out my engine block ground strap was bad. It was corroded inside the insulation. That caused more resistance when hot. I replaced it and now there are not any starting issues.

Good catch. I have a ground strap attached to the lower starter bolt and the frame rail to give the starter a good ground.

"6t6red" said:
Good catch. I have a ground strap attached to the lower starter bolt and the frame rail to give the starter a good ground.
I added a ground to my starter as well. My battery is in the trunk so I have a long positive cable but only a short ground to the frame. The engine has two ground straps but I still had the occasional slow cranking when hot. Ever since I added a ground directly to the starter I have had no issues. :thum

Back