• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Finished my gauge bezel conversion to Autometer. Pics

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
Got one of the larger daunting tasks finished this weekend. I ditched the old factory gauges and converted my bezel to all Autometers -- in conjunction with my Radio Delete - Gauge Bezel to host my gauge array.

After a few tribulations with paint lifting on the old bezel, I stripper her down to bare plastic:
26_20_07_10_8_08_36_0.jpg

And while I was at it, I didn't want to go with the "norm" and just stick a blue light for my high-beam indicator (no offense meant to anyone), I wanted to get a bit more "crafty"...

I removed and salvaged the old high beam indicated from the old factory guage and decided to retrofit it into my new bezel:
26_20_07_10_8_08_36_1.jpg

Here it is temporarily lit up from behind:
26_20_07_10_8_08_36_2.jpg

26_20_07_10_8_08_36_3.jpg

That little hole was a hassle to file to get that horse emblem to recess down into it properly. I had to grind the back of the bezel flat as it was radiused as well.

Some color with the first gauge mock-up:
26_20_07_10_8_08_36_4.jpg

Color, illuminated high-beam indicator and LED turn signal indicator:
26_20_07_10_8_09_11_0.jpg

Almost completed:
26_20_07_10_8_09_11_1.jpg

You can see the T.S. indicators quite vividly here, though that is typically not the case, the LED housing is just green plastic as well and it's catching light from the drop light behind it:

26_20_07_10_8_09_11_2.jpg

In the car. (Pay no attention to the old gnarly steering wheel)
26_20_07_10_8_09_11_3.jpg

Very nice J. That was the only downside to switching to a '67 bezel I lost the running horse high beam indicator.

Good work! :pep

:nice That looks great Jeremy! Nice job with keeping the high beam horse. Still undecided if I'll do the aftermarket guage switch, but this makes me want to. Now get some doors on that thing! (I know the plan from the other site, I'm just giving you grief.)
:naug

Pretty impressive J, who would know that you have those skills just by looking at you????

NICE JOB. I am one of those with a blue led for a high beam indicator. At the moment, I can't run my high beams at night, or the indicator will blind me. I guess that I need some more resistors!! LOL

Where are you putting the last 2 gauges? Are they staying in the console?

Looks fantastic!

Since I have the turn signal scoop in Scary, I decided to go with no turn signals in the dash. I'm also running no high beam indicator. I felt it was just a little cleaner, and I look out the windshield and tell if the hi-beams are on, even if it's annoyed on-coming cars flashing their high beams at me! *LOL*

"buening" said:
No pics of the backside? Thats where all the work is! :ecit

Jesus H! I was just trying to fix the bad links. I can add some more pics, but they are all at home.

Very nice job.
I know this is a old thread but can you give more detail and possible post some pic's of the backside of the bezel.
This is one on the projects I would like to do this winter.

Sure, just ask questions and I'll ask.

And I need to see what I have as far as pictures of the back. They are all at home.

Back