• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Flushing chunks of metal out of your eyes sucks...

gotstang

Yeah, after working on/around rusty shit for 15 years+, I finally went and did it. I was in the shop and had one of my shocks in the vise, stripping it with a wire wheel when I got a little too irritated at the fact that my safety goggles were tinted. Of course as soon as I took them off and leaned back, the damn chinese wire wheel decides to loose some bristles...I felt it hit. Wasn't 100% sure that it was really in there until this morning, and boy, did I feel that sucker then!

Went through 3/4 of a bottle of visine and spent about an hour running around the house like a chicken with my head cut off, but it's gone! I guess I'm lucky it wasn't a chunk of rust...that is what sent my dad to the hospital ER 5 times in 10 days back in 1994 when we were working on Project Tetanus, an '81 Chevy Citation that had been imported from Chicago. Rusty does not describe what that car looked like before we built floorpans for it, but that's another story...

be sure you got it all. A couple years back, i got a small shaving of steel in my eye, by rubbing it like a dummy, i forced it down in my cornea where it began to rust. I went to the hospital the next day. It had to surgically removed. now when i get a eye exam, they see the scars (not visible to the naked eye), and every eye doctor wants to know. Like you i bet, im glad i can still see. :yikes

When I got a bit of metal in my eye, I tried and tried to pick it out and finally decided to try a magnet :ide. Sucked it right out. :tigg

Frank

That sucks big time. I still have scare tissue floating around inside my right eye from when I was a kid breaking up blocks for my Dad with a hammer and chisel (no safety glasses on the property, nor did he buy any after that). A big chunk came off the chisel and doted my eye. I remember it looked like a bunch of little magnifying glasses. Doc says its permanent and surgery might not get it all. Live and learn. I have a large pile of safety glasses in the shop, house and car. I don't leave home or do any work without em.

Make sure every last shard is out. If you ever need to have an MRI and you still have metal in your eye, expect to have it ripped out violently when they turn the device on!! Seriously........

"JeffTepper" said:
Make sure every last shard is out. If you ever need to have an MRI and you still have metal in your eye, expect to have it ripped out violently when they turn the device on!! Seriously........

Now there's a pleasant thought. I guess I neverthought of that, but sure does seem logical now that you bring it up. That's some serious risk there. Wonder if they do a regular X-Ray before the MRI just in case.

Last MRI I had a couple weeks ago, it was just a question....Do you have any metal in your body? Guess I didn't have any. That eye piece could be a problem for sure.

"gotstang" said:
Yikes! You guys are right, an MRI could get interesting....

Not a bad idea to go see your eye doc and let him/her check it out. They can remove that stuff quite easily.....yes, I know from personal experience!

"beach pony" said:
Now there's a pleasant thought. I guess I neverthought of that, but sure does seem logical now that you bring it up. That's some serious risk there. Wonder if they do a regular X-Ray before the MRI just in case.
Nope, they take your word for it that its gone. Was scarry as hell let me tell you!

I actually got metal in my taking a shower, I was a machinist and got some shavings in my hair and didn't realize it. When I showered I must have rinsed some into my eye. I too have a scar that the doc's always ask about and had to have an eye X-ray before my MRI!

I have had my eye scraped for rust two times. Not fun either time. Happened once in 1980 and once in 1994. The worst part is both times it happened I was at work and both times I was wearing my safety glasses.

Back