• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fold Down Seats

Johnny M

I have a 67 FB and i am converting it to Fold Down seats.

I got the panels and seat frames with the car but i was missing most of the brackets and everything needed to be restored. Sam very kindly provided me with all the parts i was missing and i got to work on the seats.

I bought the "one size fits all" (65-69)chrome trim kit however i am having an issue with the fold down side catch.

As you will see in this pic the original catch does not line up with the hole in the trim panel. Now, it does say that i need to drill two holes to make this trim kit work but surely they dont expect me to drill a new hole and leave that misplaced hole instead?

IMG_1334.jpg

I was careful when i removed the old chrome trim pieces and i am looking at rechroming them. The original chrome trim has the holes located in the correcct spot.

Is this just another case of Repo junk? or am i being a dumbass?

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I think its upside down, I dont think the piece is visible on the carpet side like you have it laid out.

Disregard, I went to Sig's website, http://www.folddownseat.com the bracket has "wings" on both sides. I did notice your trim piece does not have the recess like the one in the picture below

100_4918.jpg

100_4921.jpg

I've already had a good read through Sam's guide. And there are 3 different types of that piece of triim but they only make a one size fits all repo.

3booms.jpg

For comparison, here is the 65-66 style trim (top) compared to 67-68 style trim (middle) and 69-70 style trim (bottom). Side by side the difference is very distinct if you know what to look for.

When you look at the NPD catalogue it does not have a 67-68 kit but under the 65-65 kit it says.
Can be modified to fit 67-68 by redrilling two holes and cutting two notches

Maybe this is where i have to redrill and notch or just rechrome my originals.

Here are my originals. They are notched and have the holes in the correct places.
IMG_1344.jpg

I had to modify the right side "L" on mine as well. I don't recall having to notch anything (did it several years ago), but definitely had to drill the new hole. It's not something that is easily noticed when it is all assembled. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's visible when the seat back is in the up position...

in the process of restoring my 67 fold down and checked my new trim and it looks like I'll be having the same problem

I've already had a good read through Sam's guide. And there are 3 different types of that piece of triim but they only make a one size fits all repo.

Sams site has a wealth of information. May be irrelevant but I think they now sell a 69-70 kit and it does have the inset/joggled latch areas on the two side pieces that are unique to the 69-70 model.

Mine also came with the curved trim piece that attaches to the aft most panel. Not sure why they included it as it really isnt correct for 69-70 cars. This part was omitted and the carpet was stretched over the panel.

originally my car didn't come with fold down seats, the PO did a half way conversion using the 69/70 seat parts with the notched latch, I'm going to correct it to a none notched latch, if you need any of my old trim let me know.

Back