• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Ford inches closer to recall for made in china transmissions

These trans problems have been going around the S197 forums for months now. Ford has issued a TSB for this, which is a fluid change. That seems to have helped some. Others have switched to Redline MTL fluid and reported good results. My MT-82 has the factory fluid in it and after 7200 miles and 11 months, it is flawless. I believe Pete had the TSB done and he has no problems as well. I don't doubt there are people out there having problems, but believe the majority aren't. That said, I'm watching mine close and will document any issues I have with my dealer.

Yes, I had the fluid change and saw no big difference...maybe a bit smoother. I have had no issues with min in 9800 miles since Nov. 29th. There are issues and I feel some is over done but hopefully Ford will come thru with a fix/repair/replacement soon.

Most problems seem to occur at initial gear shift movement into first, or harder shifting at rpm;s. I test both every time I am out just to be sure it works. Nothing like a 0-100 mph spurt to ensure the tranny works........heh....at least the wife believes it....lol

I went through a few TSB repairs on the Tremec in my Roush due to syncro issues mainly in the 2nd to 3rd shift. The dealer supported them but Ford tried to balk. Especially after the first couple repairs. This was a big issue in those cars that Ford tried to keep quiet.I didn't even know about the TSB until a mechanic whispered in my ear when I took the car in the first time. Stay friendly with the service staff as you may need them to support your claims down the road. I just bring it up to advise those guys who may think things are fine now to keep an eye on things.

Yes, my dealer/service rep really likes it when I bring up TSB's and such. Saves him the time and all. I have had real good luck with the dealer since they changed hands a few years ago.

Back