• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

fox body radiator in 67 mustang

Fst Blk

So after alot of searching, I pose this question. I'm getting conflicting data. Will a fox radiator fit in a 67/8 mustang?

After looking at the dimensions, it appears the fox has these dimensions 19.05" tall (with cap) x 29.25" wide. This is from champion radiator.
http://www.championradiators.com/Ford-Mustang-3-row-radiator-1979-1993

The 24" 67 mustang radiator has these dimensions 21.75" tall (22" with cap) x 25.38" wide (including brackets).

So, can someone answer this with any certainty? Reason I want a fox radiator is I found a smoking deal on a griffin radiator I'd like to pick up.

Bill

Bill I don't know for a fact either way but based on the dims I would think you should be able to make it work. It's cross flow and wider so it's probably more of an issue what accessories and water pump you will use.

I found this pic on the web, didn't specify what rad it was but looks like a cross flow
aezuzmaycvmgwedbgrsa.jpg

Well, that's kinda the point also. Using a 94 351w so the water pump outlet is driver side like I need. Scared to pull the trigger and it not fit... oh well, may just do it.

Dunno how much different the 65/66 radiator support and frame width dimensions are from the 67/68, but I can tell you it won't fit in the 65/66. The problem with a 65/66 is it sticks up above the radiator support and hits the hood. The width between the frame rails is too narrow to drop it down far enough. Again, this applies to a 65/66 I don't know if the dimensions on a 67/68 are close enough to cause the same problems. I really hoped to use one on my car (since I already had one), but to no avail due to the fit problems.

What I ended up using is a 71/72 250ci 6cyl radiator. It does fit, gave me a cross flow radiator with increased cooling area and has the hose locations in the correct spots for a reverse flow 5.0 water pump!

Dunno how much different the 65/66 radiator support and frame width dimensions are from the 67/68, but I can tell you it won't fit in the 65/66. The problem with a 65/66 is it sticks up above the radiator support and hits the hood. The width between the frame rails is too narrow to drop it down far enough. Again, this applies to a 65/66 I don't know if the dimensions on a 67/68 are close enough to cause the same problems. I really hoped to use one on my car (since I already had one), but to no avail due to the fit problems.

What I ended up using is a 71/72 250ci 6cyl radiator. It does fit, gave me a cross flow radiator with increased cooling area and has the hose locations in the correct spots for a reverse flow 5.0 water pump!
glad you posted that, I didn't think about the frame rail interference. The 67/68 frame rails are identicale to the 65/66. I sectioned a 68 front clip and shock towers on a 65... frame rails lined right up9-26-14 core support A.jpg
9-24-14 front.jpg 9-26-14 core support A.jpg

I know it is not inline with your question, Bill, but since this is all driven by a "smokin' deal on a Griffin" just wanted to remind you that ECP makes killer pieces for what likely is about the same or even less than that "smokin' price" might be. Even for an extra cost to move an inlet or outlet form side to side I'd bet you would be in the same ball park and be sure to get a rad that would fit correctly. Just a thought.

I know it is not inline with your question, Bill, but since this is all driven by a "smokin' deal on a Griffin" just wanted to remind you that ECP makes killer pieces for what likely is about the same or even less than that "smokin' price" might be. Even for an extra cost to move an inlet or outlet form side to side I'd bet you would be in the same ball park and be sure to get a rad that would fit correctly. Just a thought.

I would have to agree with Terry, it is hard to beat the price and quality of the ECP radiators, less than $200. We have had zero cooling issues in the 65, pushing nearly 400hp on 100 degree days cruising in a parade type setting. As a side note, this is a standard, narrow 65 type radiator that was built for the 5.0 configuration.

Thanks guys. After thinking about it, I really don't want to fab anything to make it work. I'm at the 'pay more so it fits' stage in my build so I can get this thing going.

Bill

Bill with my set up the only mods required was enlarging the radiator opening in the rad. support for the large sized core and mod the original '92 upper mounting brackets to bolt to the support. The only fab was the two lower mounts. My goal was/is to make mine look like a factory install. I'm like you, if I had to pay a little more I was happy to do it in order to achieve what I wanted. Good luck with!!

Back