• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

front frame rail,torq box,and floor pan removel.

nutforastang

So both floor pans completely rotted out,torq boxes rotted away for the most part also,frame rails rough shape.car is on jacks leveled front to back and side to side.fenders are off doors are off,no motor or tranny,thinking of doing one side at a time,say drivers side floor pan,torq box ,and frame rail.to this project would I start with floor pan install,torq box then frame rail.any help would be appreciated. :hmm
Thanks, nutforastang 67 coupe

Pictures would be extremely helpful.

If that much metal needs replaced I guess I would replace the frame rails first, temporarily attached to the floor pans. TQ boxes will need to go on last because they attach to the bottom of the brace that attaches to the floor pan, these are the "U" braces that weld to the floor pan, & the frame rails slide into. You will need to weld the frame-rail to the braces before the bottom of the TQ box can be welded over the brace. I would have to assume the lower section of the firewall, "toe pans" will need to be replaced as well, these would be next followed by floor pans.

"jmlay" said:

If that much metal needs replaced I guess I would replace the frame rails first, temporarily attached to the floor pans. TQ boxes will need to go on last because they attach to the bottom of the brace that attaches to the floor pan, these are the "U" braces that weld to the floor pan, & the frame rails slide into. You will need to weld the frame-rail to the braces before the bottom of the TQ box can be welded over the brace. I would have to assume the lower section of the firewall, "toe pans" will need to be replaced as well, these would be next followed by floor pans.
Jlmay,
Trying to post pic's but not having much luck,thhanks for the advice,so I should weld new frame rails to old pans temp,then weld in new pans,toe boards then torq box . thanks again.
Nutforastang

"nutforastang" said:
"jmlay" said:

Jlmay,
Trying to post pic's but not having much luck,thhanks for the advice,so I should weld new frame rails to old pans temp,then weld in new pans,toe boards then torq box . thanks again.
Nutforastang

Attachments

• IMG_7936.JPG
    IMG_7936.JPG
    479.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7939.JPG
    IMG_7939.JPG
    479.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8055.JPG
    IMG_8055.JPG
    489.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8056.JPG
    IMG_8056.JPG
    484.1 KB · Views: 76
I basically did as you described and did one side at a time.

Attachments

• Picture 152.jpg
    Picture 152.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 78
  • Picture 180.jpg
    Picture 180.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • Picture 183.jpg
    Picture 183.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
  • Picture 189.jpg
    Picture 189.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
I used the export brace and Monte Carlo bar to help line things up. I also didn't cut off the radiator support so it was there as I did each side (braced up so it couldn't move). I had previously done the floor pans and patched part of the firewall and the drivers side kick panel area. When I did my floors they didn't offer the full floor pan. If I were to do anything over it would be to cut out the floors and put in a full floor.

I had done the floor pans and quarters in 1990. The front frame rails continued to rot away so it was 2007 when I replaced them. They rusted where the shock towers attached to the rails.

Attachments

• Picture 255.jpg
    Picture 255.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
  • Picture 290.jpg
    Picture 290.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • Mustangs3.jpg
    Mustangs3.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture 136.jpg
    Picture 136.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • Picture 137.jpg
    Picture 137.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
"tarafied1" said:
I used the export brace and Monte Carlo bar to help line things up. I also didn't cut off the radiator support so it was there as I did each side (braced up so it couldn't move). I had previously done the floor pans and patched part of the firewall and the drivers side kick panel area. When I did my floors they didn't offer the full floor pan. If I were to do anything over it would be to cut out the floors and put in a full floor.
[/quote
Tarafied,
Just what is a export brace and a monte carlo bar? also looks like you had already done floor pans before rails is that correct?So should I just eld the new rails to my rotted out floor pans then replace floor pans and floor pan supports,then toe board and and torq box? Also that is a nice set up you have there,my car is just set on 6 jack stands.Looks like you have some sort of device that clamps to rocker rail,i could build a few of those pretty easy if that would help keep my car straight.could you send me a close up shot of one of them.thanks for the help itching to get back to it but don't want to start off wrong!!!
thanks again,
Nutforastang

Monte Carlo bar and Export brace were used on Shelby's and Exported Mustangs to stiffen the front end for severe duty. They replace the two braces that run from the firewall to the shock towers with a one piece brace. The Monte Carlo bar ties the two shock towers to each other. It create a triangle brace but for what I need it was a way to ensure the new shock tower was in the correct position before welding. By keeping the core support in place and the opposite tower I could clamp the rail and new tower in place, instal the Monte Carlo Bar and Export brace and level and line everything up.
I was able to use a friends frame rack but the jack stands will work fine. I am currently doing similar repair on a 65 in my garage.
export brace and Monte Carlo bar
mump_0107_26_z%2B1966_ford_mustang_engine_detailing%2Bexport_brace_and_monte_carlo_bar.jpg

67SCCAMustang+060R.jpg

my 67 I have owed for 24 years so it has "evolved" I did the floors first so I could drive it. Then later I did the rails and towers. The towers didn't look too bad in 1990 but continued to rot away so that by 2007 they were ready to be replaced. On my 65 I am doing the frame first. It was wrecked in the front and rusty.
537679_4240467895537_1072281420_n.jpg

183259_4319214464152_1617024569_n.jpg

59968_4357327416952_2085911187_n.jpg

36521_4357332417077_100485508_n.jpg

after tearing it down this far I decided to replace the whole front clip on the 65 with one from another Mustang
72951_4396809883989_823722316_n.jpg

224432_4402281420774_1523068027_n.jpg

576883_4757330736785_784374444_n.jpg

nutforastang,

That is rough. I'm not sure you will be able to attache the frame rails to the floor pan. How much flex is in the floors, do the rails move side to side or up and down. How is the firewall? Would it be easier to replace the complete firewall or toe pans by themselves? If you do this first you will have a start of a good foundation for attaching other pieces.

ASSUMING you carefully measure & every thing is symmetrical, I think I would at a minimum get some steel tubing & brace what is there before cutting anything out to stabilize the car. Then I would carefully replace the frame rail & TQ box on one side making sure to measure many times before & after before welding anything permanently.

"jmlay" said:
nutforastang,

That is rough. I'm not sure you will be able to attache the frame rails to the floor pan. How much flex is in the floors, do the rails move side to side or up and down. How is the firewall? Would it be easier to replace the complete firewall or toe pans by themselves? If you do this first you will have a start of a good foundation for attaching other pieces.

ASSUMING you carefully measure & every thing is symmetrical, I think I would at a minimum get some steel tubing & brace what is there before cutting anything out to stabilize the car. Then I would carefully replace the frame rail & TQ box on one side making sure to measure many times before & after before welding anything permanently.
Jmlay, Thank you for the advice and the pics they will help a lot I think I am going to do as you suggested wait till I get my frame rails then take a lot of measurements and do one side at a time.Fire wall is in good shape torq boxes are gone though.after rails ,torq boxes,and floor pans I will have to change both sides of the lower cowel.take care and thanks again
Nutforastang

Back