• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Front & Rear Windshields Installed

garner67

I checked off another milestone this weekend, and I got the front & rear windshields installed. I left this job up to a pro, and I'm glad I did. The actual job did not seem too difficult, but having never done it myself, I didn't know any tricks for getting the job done right... meaning NO LEAkS! If I had done the job myself, I would have made a huge mess with the window sealer, and I doubt I would have done nearly as good as the installed did. The glass went in without any problems at all, but the front molding needed a little persuasion to get installed.

Here are a few pics.

Rear installed. It's hard to tell in these pics, but I purchased the new smoke tinted rear windshield. It's not that dark, but it goes well with my black paint.
23791070210_large.jpg

23791070213_large.jpg

Front installed.
23791070211_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
AWESOME! LOOKS VERY NICE. WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR GLASS? How much did it cost to have them insalled? Thanks God bless

That car is looking way to nice to take it to the track!!

"blown66" said:
AWESOME! LOOKS VERY NICE. WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR GLASS? How much did it cost to have them insalled? Thanks God bless

To avoid shipping charges, I bought all new glass from a local vendor. I ordered it from http://restorationpartssource.com/store/, and they had it shipped from LA, which only took a week to be delivered. The installer charged me a couple hundred bucks to have both front & rear pieces as well as the moldlngs to be installed. I provided the widow gaskets & glass, and the installer brought tools & the sealer.

"silverblueBP" said:
That car is looking way to nice to take it to the track!!

Thanks, I wish I could afford both a track mule AND a street car, but time, money and space is a limiting factor. Although it will suck getting the first few paint chips at the track, I'm building this car to drive it, which is a hell of a lot more fun than standing around at a car show!

I like the way you think Mike!

The first chips are tough, after that I don't even notice anymore....unless I look just to see how bad it's getting. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my front apron has a nice 3" crack / break at the lower lip. Must have hit something on track or rubber caught it from the inside. I hope it will last till winter.

That looks great, so great in fact that I pulled my trim pieces out of the closet this morning to get them ready to go back on my car...they look better on the car that in the closet.

Not to Hijack, but since I am, anyone know how much sealer I may need? I have two tubes.

The glass installer used 3.5 tubes of sealer on my glass install, but no sealer was used when the moldings were installed. He's an old school glass installer who gave up the auto glass business (now he mostly installs home and shower glass), but he still does glass install work for classic cars.

Here are the basic steps the installed followed:
1) Before laying the glass/gasket into place, he started by applying a healthy bead of sealer all the way around the pinch weld.
2) Then, he set the glass in place, and pulled the rope from the inside to get the gasket to seat against the pinch weld.
3) After the gasket was successfully pulled into place around the pinch weld, he used some suction cups to really move the glass into place.
4) Lastly, before installing the molding, he injected more sealer between the glass & gasket... NOT between the gasket & body panel.

Here's a close up pic before the molding was installed. You can see just how much sealer he used on the pinch weld before the glass (w/gasket) was put into place.

23791070214_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"daveSanborn" said:
Sealer for what???? The front and rear glass? Isn't your glass installed already?

The glass in Ricks car is just in. It has no sealer. The glass can be out of it in a matter of seconds.

Mike,
What type of warranty did your installer give you? As we all should realize, installing glass and trim on our vintage Mustangs require a vast amount of sealant due to the thiness of todays glass. Most installers refuse to even touch a vintage Mustang due to their imparrent leaks.

If I was you, I'd do a squirt leak test just to insure that you don't have any leaks. If you do, you should knock on the installer's door.

Back