• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Frozen door lock motor. How to fix?

gotstang

So I guess the '89 5.0LX has been through too many cold days over the past 20-odd years, because the door lock motor seized up this morning. The door is still locked and shut, key won't work, and the knob is frozen. I assume you have to replace the door lock motor with the door still shut? WTF? Can you even get the door panel off with the door shut?

:craz :fbomb :scar

I don't know how you would be able to replace the actuator with the door shut. Trying to get the door panel off with the door shut would be a challenge. Doesn't the front of the door panel almost touch the dash?

This may sound stupid, but have you tried opening the door from the inside? I can't recall if my '90 works like that, but a fair amount of Fords automatically unlock the door when you open them from the inside.

"Starfury" said:
This may sound stupid, but have you tried opening the door from the inside? I can't recall if my '90 works like that, but a fair amount of Fords automatically unlock the door when you open them from the inside.

+1 the inside should still pop it open if its just the motor. If not, it sounds like you have a linkage problem.

"lethal289" said:
+1 the inside should still pop it open if its just the motor. If not, it sounds like you have a linkage problem.
+2... just went out to the garage and tried it. Been meaning to answer this post, but haven't been DD'ing the Fox... :(

You might try rolling the window down and attempting to hook the lock mechanism inside. This could give you a different leverage on the binding and allow it to unlock. You mat even have to bend one of the rods to get it to release. Pull the other side panel to use as a guide to see what it takes to unlock without the actuator working.

Back