• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel Filler neck with unleaded nozzle on Classic Stangs

tarafied1

Any of you guys have issues with "splash" when filling your classic with an unleaded nozzle at the pump? I know the filler neck was designed for the leaded nozzle which is much bigger diameter than the unleaded nozzle of today. I rarely if ever use the autoshut-off feature because it will dump fuel all over the car... even anything above the slow fill (definitely full blast fill-ups are not possible) as I get a lot of splashed fuel. I'm contemplating looking for a modern unleaded fuel neck to swap in or fabricating one from the original neck. Just wondering if you all have the same problem. My car is a 67 and my dad has commented his 66 has the same type issue...

I ractually crouch down by mine and "listen" for it to fill up. Then just shut it off here I hear it. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

We have the fuel dispensers with the giant splash guard and fume sucking vacuum cleaner on them here.

I posted this yesterday on another forum:

Put the nozzle in all the way, rotate the handle until it's at the 2 o' clock position, then push the handle away from you, towards the car, until it stops (when the tip of the nozzle hits the fill tube). Fill slowly if there's nobody else at the pumps, otherwise it will likely shoot gas back out at you. Keep track of the meter and listen for the tank to fill up when you get close to full.

I've never been able to get a pump nozzle to stay in my fill neck, and any time I've used any other method for filling, the pump either automatically shuts itself off (fuel gets sucked into the vapor recycling inlet in the nozzle) or gas sprays out at me.

This '66 fills real nice. It will auto shut off about 1 gal before the splash back feature. I can then add that last bit slower. However, my last '66 had problems. I did this....and it worked great. No spill, no smell, odd looks at the station...
100_9363.jpg

100_9362.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here and its even more difficult with the pop-cap that stays attached.

I use a extended tube that's actually made for such things. Of course this has the problem that the nozzle sometimes senses backflush too easily and keeps shutting off. As was stated you need to find just the correct angle that differs with each pump/nozzle. I also listen for the almost full sound. :voodoo

thanks guys, just what I expected. I have done all those things too. We don't have the clumsy nozzle like Cali but each station has a little different nozzle it seams.

I like the AzPete setup on the 66... not what I had in mind but I may steal the concept. As much as I'm always puttin gas in this thing I want to do something different.

Made it. Starting with the stock unit, cut in about half. Cut the rubber hose in half also and get two more clamps. I used a stock '60 Ford F100 pickup filler neck as it was a bit smaller diameter than the Mustang neck. I determined the length and angle of the end so it would clear the trunk lid and sit straight up. I cut the F 100 unit. Then, with it clamped to the original lower half of the Mustang unit, I marked the oval hole it would need to fit. This was done with the tube in place in the car. I cut that out and finished the edges with a dremel. I then set the angle exact and brazed the two together on the workbench. I sealed the ends and did a leak check. All was well.

For the cap, I had to use a regular vented type as I could not find a non vented one to fit. So, I used some JB Weld to seal the vent, You do not want fumes in the trunk. I still had the stock cap on the outside so it has the vent for fumes. Also, with this, you still could have fuel vent to the outside and down the car if it sat full, in the hot sun. My plan was to fit a small hose fitting to the added piece and fun a tube out of the trunk for that purpose. I would use a one way rubber drain valve on the end to keep it sealed.

I never had any problem with the hose ends slipping off but you might want to roll a bead on the ends, under the hoses.

If I did another one, I would mount the extra neck as far down as I could and as short as possible. This would keep the new cap below the original and make the venting to a tube work without ever threatening to vent fuel out on the car.

Several others have used this idea. In the 18 months that I owned the car (in Az heat) after this mod, I never had a fuel spill or venting problem. No smell of fuel in the car either. I drove the car 25 miles daily back then so it got used.

This is the car it was done to....which I sold for 16500 before I left Az.
100_9501-1.jpg

I dont know why you dont just do what all the Eleanors did and relocate the filler neck. E cars are soooo Cool... :kaid

Shelby_Mustang_ELEANOR_1967_98281_20080629_l.jpg

"Fast68back" said:
I dont know why you dont just do what all the Eleanors did and relocate the filler neck. E cars are soooo Cool... :kaid

Shelby_Mustang_ELEANOR_1967_98281_20080629_l.jpg
since when do you like Eleanor's? Anyway on a coupe that would look stupid IMO.

I had two guys at a show ask why I didn't just extend it up thru the trunk lid.....

And I agree, on a Coupe, the E type cap does not look right.

"AzPete" said:
I had two guys at a show ask why I didn't just extend it up thru the trunk lid.....

And I agree, on a Coupe, the E type cap does not look right.
The early Trans Am Mustangs (65,66 &67's) had the fuel filler straight up thru the trunk lid.

So do we think it's the sharp angle that's the issue? I was thinking it was more the diameter change... smaller unleaded nozzle in the larger opening, but now I'm wondering if the angle is more the factor. Also Pete, did you have any issue brazing on the tube? I figure it's galvenized, I was gonna mig weld on mine. My idea was to fab up a "restrictor" kinda like the new cars where the nozzle pushes open a little flapper door. I had envisioned hitting the U-Pull-It yards and search for a suitable doner to cut up and weld onto or into my original fuel filler. If the sharp angle is more of the issue then maybe I'll go with something like you have done. I have an extra 67 Stang fuel filler pipe.

I preferred brazing because the rod will "flow" better than welding. This makes it easier to seal.

Once I did the change, I had no problems so I think it is the angle and how it works with some nozzles. I have always found that if I hold up on the pump handle, that puts the end of the nozzle on the bottom of the filler neck. That is where the auto shut off will sense things up soonest. Why some and not others I have no idea. Both my last two cars have had new tanks and filler necks so there is no explanation why one car works great and the other needs mods. I think using a newer type neck will be bad. Having the nozzle in the center of the filler neck would allow fuel to flow out under it.

It is all experimental for sure.

"tarafied1" said:
The early Trans Am Mustangs (65,66 &67's) had the fuel filler straight up thru the trunk lid.

So do we think it's the sharp angle that's the issue? I was thinking it was more the diameter change... smaller unleaded nozzle in the larger opening, but now I'm wondering if the angle is more the factor. Also Pete, did you have any issue brazing on the tube? I figure it's galvenized, I was gonna mig weld on mine. My idea was to fab up a "restrictor" kinda like the new cars where the nozzle pushes open a little flapper door. I had envisioned hitting the U-Pull-It yards and search for a suitable doner to cut up and weld onto or into my original fuel filler. If the sharp angle is more of the issue then maybe I'll go with something like you have done. I have an extra 67 Stang fuel filler pipe.

Here in Oregon, we can't pump our own gas...so one of the guys at the gas station told me that the problem is that the gas pump nozzles nowadays are high pressure units, not the same as the pumps in the old days--not the size of the nozzle or the angle of our fill necks. I carry a ziplock with a rag in my trunk. I wrap the rag around the nozzle to keep it from splashing.

Same darn problem here. I have to put my ear down by the nozel and listen for the fuel to get close. It does not help that all of these new gas stations have to have music blasting away at the pump or in my case, the gas station is next to a busy road and train tracks.

I also wrap a paper towel around the nozel just in case.

Back