• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel pump issue

FordDude

Well-Known Dude
Staff member
The 64.5 convertible, D code 289. I replaced the fuel pump a few years ago, can I call it BP? (before pandemic) :rolleyes: Bought it at NAPA, the type with the filter can on it. Issue is that it will not start without being primed, dumping some fuel into the carburetor. I run the engine as often as I can, but after a day I have to prime it to start. Back it out of the garage to do work in the garage, it will start a few hours later. New battery, so it turns over normally. Looked at the carburetor and gas is not leaking from it, or the smell of fuel. Just looking for opinions and maybe a better place to buy a fuel pump. Thanks,

fd

Try with a loose gas cap. Maybe you pull a vacuum in the gastank ??

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Does your fuel bowl go dry? Mine has always had the smell of gasoline, and the fuel bowl goes dry in a few days. It is probably leaking internally from the carb but it shows no evidence of that when bench testing for days. I hope you identify your problem.

The fuel will evaporate out of the carb in my 66 since it sits a lot. I tried capping the vent tubes, but that didn’t help. Just figured it was the 110 octane evaporating fairly quickly. I use a Holley mechanical pump.
I just keep squeeze bottles around to fill the carb through the vent tubes.

Since it hasn't been written here yet, I'm sure your fuel pump is just fine. As others pointed out, your issue is having fuel in your carb. It will pump back up and refill the bowl(s) after a fair amount of engine cranking. I have no idea how long it typically takes for the fuel in the carb to evaporate or leak down possibly. I agree it could be leaking internally which is why no outside evidence is noticeable. I wonder if modern "gas" evaps faster than real fuel.

Back