• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

General cooling discussion, rad, fan, coolant, shroud, etc,

I would also recommend for you to look at a good electric water pump.
how reliable are electric water pumps? I've only seen them on race cars, would it hold up to everyday use?

"tarafied1" said:
how reliable are electric water pumps? I've only seen them on race cars, would it hold up to everyday use?

not recommended for a real driver.

"tarafied1" said:

They are rated at 3000+ hours of use so I am not worried. I will never put that many hours on my car and if it does go out you can replace or repair the electric motor. Get a good name brand like Meziere and stay away from Chinese crap and you should be fine.

Craig,

To gain clearance for a shrouded mechanical.... or better yet a dual electric puller fan..... you can cut the "recess flange" off of the radiator support that is forcing your existing radiator to mount so far rearward. Removing the flange/lip of the radiator support and moving the radiator forward should give you close to 1.5" of additional room. That's more than enough for a mech. fan and should be enough for a dual elec. puller.

It's not like you haven't made permanent modifications to the car already.....

You know Craig, I was just reading this and noticed your avatar pic..... take a look at your grille, maybe something in front of the radiator is restricting airflow......

"daveSanborn" said:
Craig,
It's not like you haven't made permanent modifications to the car already.....
nothing a little :nick couldn't fix...
and as usual you have a good point. I got a long weekend to do something about it!
"Fast68back" said:
You know Craig, I was just reading this and noticed your avatar pic..... take a look at your grille, maybe something in front of the radiator is restricting airflow......
and yeah, I know the inboard lights are in front of the radiator but there is a lot of room between them and the core support. I also have a huge opening in the valence which stock Mustangs don't have.

"Fast68back" said:

Didn't Ford move those things for that reason plus something about street legal lights way back when.....

"AzPete" said:
Didn't Ford move those things for that reason plus something about street legal lights way back when.....
I think it was in certain states that didn't allow the inboard lights, they had some outboard.
The grill-mounted high beams were positioned at the center until it was banned in certain states, including California, had statutes mandating minimum distance between headlights. Cars headed for those states started receiving lights at the outboard edges of the grill, legend has it that, in Pennsylvania, one lawmaker who had counted on the purchase of a Shelby with inboard lights actually initiated a change in the state law to accommodate his wish.

For Shag, I'm going back to a mechanical fan too see how it performs as compared to the POS clutch fan currently in use. If that switch doesn't resolve the potential overheating issue at idle, I'll then consider a Norther Alum Rad.

Bite the bullet and get the Northern Radiator. Street or Track sells them. That's what we put in Steph's '67, and haven't looked back. It runs nice and cool with a mechanical flex fan, even on 110+ Sacramento days now.

The radiator is big, and fits very tight, but it cleared everything just fine. She has a turn signal hood on the car, too, if that make any difference.

"johnpro" said:
Bite the bullet and get the Northern Radiator. Street or Track sells them. That's what we put in Steph's '67, and haven't looked back. It runs nice and cool with a mechanical flex fan, even on 110+ Sacramento days now.

The radiator is big, and fits very tight, but it cleared everything just fine. She has a turn signal hood on the car, too, if that make any difference.

I know. Why beat around the bush. I won't be happy until a Northern is installed.

Until my new aluminum rad shows up, I made some holes and found a mechanical fan that fit...
index.php

index.php

Yeah the fan is a tight fit but it should help. I am using water wetter too. I have 25% antifreeze and the water wetter but thanks. I have the the holes too so maybe underhood heat can escape.

How much clearance from the water pump pulley to the radiator core? Keep in mind that the Ford Contour fans are spaced out so the only clearance issue would be the shroud depth to the pulley bolt heads. A single fan has a motor that gets in the way, but dual fans push the motors further out where clearance typically isn't an issue. I found my Contour fan on www.car-part.com for about $40. You can arrange the results by price to get the lowest price. It's amazing how much they differ.

Back