• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Grip Fast

IMG_0085.PNG been doing some research on Family history n yesterday received 5 books titled 'Grip Fast' it is a history of the Leslie's from Scotland, dating back to 1075.

I am giving a copy to my two uncles, my aunt n my Dad.

I think it is way cool to be able to reach back n learn about your family...

Yeah it can be interesting stuff. My Sis got interested in genealogy and tracked us back to the military head of the Plymouth Colony, Myles Standish. Apparently the first guy over here with our name was arrested for poaching deer on the Kings land and sent here to help populate the colonies, 17 years after Standish. Then there was our great great whatever Grandma Hanna who was living on the frontier. Their house was raided by Indian's and she and her baby were kidnapped and taken by canoe to their camp. The Indian's were celebrating with fire water that night and grabbed her baby by the feet and swung him around and into a tree killing him. When they passed out drunk she escaped, killed and scalped them and made her way back to civilization. There was a trial and she was proclaimed a heroine. There is a statue in the town square with her story. Sis has lots more stories but those are the ones I remember.

anybody tried that thing where they check your DNA for your ancestory? I have seen some commercials where people find out they have all kinds of nationalities in the history. Just curios if it works or is a scam

anybody tried that thing where they check your DNA for your ancestory? I have seen some commercials where people find out they have all kinds of nationalities in the history. Just curios if it works or is a scam
Ive been interested and working on my genealogy tree since 1985. My wife has a keen interest in Anthropology so I ordered her a DNA kit and now she knows where her ancestors are from. My DNA smaple is being tested and I should have my results shortly. As a result of her test I bought a 6 month World Explorer membership on Ancestry.com and have created a 1200+ member tree. My first cousins did the same thing for my moms side of the family and traced my grandfathers name back to 1200AD I think (I haven't added their portion to my tree yet). Because of their research I found out I could apply for membership to the Sons of the American Revolution as my 6th great grand father fought for the Colonies at the Battle of Boston in 1775. Since Ive been working on my tree Ive found a couple of other ancestors who also fought in the Revolutionary War. Ive been working on my application to the SAR and its a little time consuming. You have to provide PROOF your related to your ancestor and PROOF they fought for the Colonies. Its all very fascinating to me.

When you dig deep enough , you can see you have your roots in the old continent. Where I live !! :D:D
Been to Norway and visited distant relatives. got a family history book documenting things there. gave a copy of it to my Mom and she was in tears.

Somewhere on my computers, I have a picture of my son standing in front of the farm in Norway (Trondeim) where my great great grandfather lived. it was priceless.

I also did some ancestry checking this past year and had the DNA test done. Mostly British but also found we have some Irish too! The digging I did ended up with a long distant grandfather coming over on the Mayflower as an indentured servant. I still don't believe it's correct back that far, but I did find a distant grandfather who was in the Revolutionary war. And that one, I am positive about! Pretty cool stuff if you are willing to really dig and spend some time (of which I had excess of).

Back