• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

grrrr, stupid speedo cable

blue65coupe

any tips on removing one from the tranny? Came out pretty easy during the rebuild buy am trying to install new speedo gear and this thing just wont budge. Any ideas???

Usually, there's a small bolt that fastens the bracket that holds the speedo cable to the tranny. If the bracket is loose, try turning the driveshaft?

I'll try again. I removed bracket, turned shaft, put in different gears, but no luck. I've moved to hooking up heater core and will post if I have luck when I get back on it. My Miller Lite is helping me at this time so we'll see what happens. Thanks Mid.

I assume that you've tried "pulling" on the cable and it won't budge?

Try this....

Clamp a pair of Vise Grip pliers onto the cable.... tight enough to securely hold the cable, but not so tight as to pinch/damage it. Place the pliers on the cable as close to the end as possible. Place a wooden block or other appropriately sized solid object between the side of the pliers and the side of the transmission. Use the pliers as a "lever" and the wooden block as the "fulcrum" to unseat the end of the cable.

Good Luck!

Back